Update on my story - almost a year later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my story - almost a year later

I have been meaning to post an update for quite some time now, but I have been found it difficult to actually find the time to do so. At least until now!

For those that may just want a quick summary: things are great and better than ever. Bankruptcy was the absolute right choice, and the only thing I would do any differently would be to have done it sooner.

For those that want a longer version, I won’t rehash every last bit of it as that can be found by just searching my posts from over a year ago. I will say that the exact date that I truly decided will forever be stuck in my mind: October 13, 2010. For years and years, far longer than I should have been, I had been making all of my payments, minimum on all my credit cards, and quite literally just getting by with nothing to show for it. All of my debt was credit card debt, an overwhelming majority from my mid to late 20s, much of it travel. I decided to do my absolute best to get my balances down as much as I could, but it was the typical thing that most of us have been through: you pay out hundreds upon hundreds a month to see your balance go down by, maybe, ten dollars. Still, I continued at this for quite some time. I then saved some money for a servicing on my car, saved up even some more assuming there would be some additional cost that I didn’t know about. I go in and sure enough, something else needs repair: brake pads. And they truly did, as I looked at them myself and were getting to the point where it was going to be unsafe to keep them, so I had new brake pads put on and that, of course, brought my bill to hundreds. I had to, you guessed it, get out a credit card and with ONE single scan, any and all progress I had made vanished. As I said, that was October 13, 2010, and I knew at that point there was no hope. Like many of us, I had known this prior, but that was it, THAT is what did it.

I immediately started my research, this forum being the primary focus, and after speaking to people, getting attorney info, etc., I retained the attorney I did end up using a week later. As was recommended here, the attorney immediately told me to stop paying all my credit card debt and to cease using the cards as they could not file if I have used them within two months.

I wrote many posts on this, but one of the scariest parts of the entire process was when the FIRST statement came due, and I did not pay it. I was in front of my computer up to and past midnight wondering if I should just make the payment. I know that sounds odd now, and I look back at it and kind of chuckle, but I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that I have never in my life missed one single payment, been late on a payment, or failed to make at least the minimum payment. I was sick to my stomach, don’t think I slept that entire day, and it was no easier that first month seeing the statements come and go without paying them. A the same time, though, I had actual money! My bank account was no something like $2.50 or some such. As I posted here all that time ago, I was finally able to have more than the most minimum amount of food, and it was shocking to be able to go see a movie and not have to wonder if I should or should not go. Sure, it seems that those are little things, but for me it was huge.

Of course time progressed, I was lucky to get an attorney who kept me advised of everything and answered any and all questions I had either on the phone or via e-mail almost immediately. I read far too many attorney horror stories, so I am thankful to this day for picking the one I did. I am also thankful that I was an extremely ‘straight forward’ bankruptcy in that I am not married, have no children, in an apartment, and have a single car payment, and all my debt was credit card debt, and I was below the median income, so things were, in fact, very simple.

As to be expected, the phone calls started, and I have no actual collections horror stories. Every single company that called, I advised I was going through Chapter 7 and as the attorney said, I gave them his name and phone number, and that was that. They never called back.

The next biggest thing was the 341. Instead of going on and on about it, I’m just going to put the link to my story here as at the time it seemed to be a good read for many here, and if anyone reading this is going through Chapter 7 in or around the Orlando area, you may want to give it a read:

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...one!-My-review.

So, time passes, I get discharged and then really begin anew. It’s been well over a year since I decided on this route, and it’s been nearly a year since discharge. Things are so much better, and I no longer worry about where, say, my lunch will come from. While not even remotely rich, I have a small but growing savings account now, and I did keep my car, and it will be fully paid off in June, and that will give me even more at that point. I am now able to go out to eat without wondering if I have the money, I’ve been able to buy clothes I had been needing, and just, in general, I’m no longer worrying. I still do not have one single credit card, and while I know I will eventually have to get one again someday to start building my scores and such back up, it is not something I want or need, and I am beyond thankful to know I have learned and grown and things will be different. That’s just it, too, it’s not like being responsible with money is ‘new’ to me, it’s just that by the time I learned it and it fully sank it, it was too late to even begin to pay things off. Just not possible.

Anyway, this went on longer than I thought it would, and as I always do, I want to thank each and every single person that ever helped me here or even gave me words of encouragement. I cannot put into words how thankful I am for that. I also want to tell everyone going through it, be it an ‘easy’ one like mine or one far more complex, to hang in there. You WILL get through it. While I want no one to feel as I was feeling, I did feel some odd comfort knowing others had felt that and survived and gotten through it. So, again, if you are happening to read this and have not felt these things yet or are currently feeling the nerves, anxiety, sickness, and everything else, just know it will pass and many of us have been there. While no one can ever tell you if you should actually go the BK route, if you do decide upon it, do not hesitate. Take it step by step and trust me and others here when we say that when all is said and done, you will be happier, healthier, and, yes, wealthier!
    Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Happy New Year, pika!!! I am so glad life is treating you well!!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

What a great story pik. So glad life is going so well for you.
      filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
      "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

that is so wonderful to hear pikaroth!!! i'm so happy it has all worked out for you so well
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

thanks you for the infomation

Comment

Originally posted by thuypx1983 View Post
            thanks you for the infomation
            Bad boy is about to be banned. We don't need no schtinkin massage rocks.

EDIT: Info only: This guy spammed almost all the stickies and every forum in favorites with a Vietnam link to a Vietnamese eBay site.
            Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 01-15-2012, 06:29 AM. Reason: Clearifying post
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              Bad boy is about to be banned. We don't need no schtinkin massage rocks.

EDIT: Info only: This guy spammed almost all the stickies and every forum in favorites with a Vietnam link to a Vietnamese eBay site.
              Yeah, he's continuing to do it. I really think you should just ban him now!
              Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                Yeah, he's continuing to do it. I really think you should just ban him now!
                I got him!
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  I got him!
                  Thank you!! I was blown away last night when I hit "New Posts" as saw a full page of threads!! I was like this - then I saw it was a spammer and I was like this
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by pikaroth View Post
                    For years and years, far longer than I should have been, I had been making all of my payments, minimum on all my credit cards, and quite literally just getting by with nothing to show for it. All of my debt was credit card debt, an overwhelming majority from my mid to late 20s, much of it travel. I decided to do my absolute best to get my balances down as much as I could, but it was the typical thing that most of us have been through: you pay out hundreds upon hundreds a month to see your balance go down by, maybe, ten dollars. Still, I continued at this for quite some time.
                    I sure do remember this. I remember in late 2005 when I was writing the many checks to pay the minimum payments on all of my credit cards, it suddenly dawned on me-- I am never going to be able to pay these things off. Every dollar I spend on a minimum payment might as well be flushed down the toilet. I looked at all of my credit card balances and realized that I couldn't keep doing this. Just paying the minimum payments was draining my bank account down to dangerously low levels. It also didn't help when I looked at the available credit limits on each card and realized that I was maxed out to the point where I could no longer buy very much of anything with my credit cards. I had this pile of nearly worthless pieces of plastic, this huge stack of monthly credit card bills, and no way of paying them off.

It was at that point that I gave up on paying them, and started to just walk away from the debts.

It was scary, because I knew I was in for a lot of nasty phone calls, and I thought for sure I was going to get sued over and over again, but yet, there was also a sense of relief. I no longer had to try to find a way to do the impossible. I no longer had to stress myself out trying to juggle payments. I just focused on what I truly had to pay-- rent, utilities, food... and let everything else go.
                    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps me see that there will in fact, be an end to it all. We are hoping to file in next couple of months, and I have not been sleeping well, and just so nervous about it all.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                        I got him!
                        Bam! Good job! Though, he was thankful for the info.
                        Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                          I sure do remember this. I remember in late 2005 when I was writing the many checks to pay the minimum payments on all of my credit cards, it suddenly dawned on me-- I am never going to be able to pay these things off. Every dollar I spend on a minimum payment might as well be flushed down the toilet. I looked at all of my credit card balances and realized that I couldn't keep doing this. Just paying the minimum payments was draining my bank account down to dangerously low levels. It also didn't help when I looked at the available credit limits on each card and realized that I was maxed out to the point where I could no longer buy very much of anything with my credit cards. I had this pile of nearly worthless pieces of plastic, this huge stack of monthly credit card bills, and no way of paying them off.

It was at that point that I gave up on paying them, and started to just walk away from the debts.

It was scary, because I knew I was in for a lot of nasty phone calls, and I thought for sure I was going to get sued over and over again, but yet, there was also a sense of relief. I no longer had to try to find a way to do the impossible. I no longer had to stress myself out trying to juggle payments. I just focused on what I truly had to pay-- rent, utilities, food... and let everything else go.
                          That's pretty much how I felt, too. I 'knew' for awhile what needed to be done, but just didn't do it, not until the car maintenance issue I spoke about in my post. But yes, after that, YOUR money can go towards what is truly needed: food, rent, electric, and even just a few random things. It's now been a year and a half since I have used or even had a credit card, and it's so incredibly refreshing that it sometimes boggles the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pikaroth View Post
                            I wrote many posts on this, but one of the scariest parts of the entire process was when the FIRST statement came due, and I did not pay it. I was in front of my computer up to and past midnight wondering if I should just make the payment. I know that sounds odd now, and I look back at it and kind of chuckle, but I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that I have never in my life missed one single payment, been late on a payment, or failed to make at least the minimum payment. I was sick to my stomach, don’t think I slept that entire day, and it was no easier that first month seeing the statements come and go without paying them.
                            I remember this feeling. Missing the first payment was so scary to me! You pretty much described exactly how I felt.
                            Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                            Discharged! June 28, 2012
                            Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X