top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freaking out over security clearance....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaking out over security clearance....

DH's 10 years is up and he is up for his security clearance renewal. I'm nervous b/c they are running a credit check. Is there anything different he should be doing on his application?

Thanks!
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Depends on the TS paperwork he has to file. If it asks, he must disclose - failure to do so will be bad. When they pull the credit report, they will see the BK and will certainly ask about it.

Depending on the job, they may or may not make a stink about it. In any case, however, they will certainly be interested in why the BK was filed and the circumstances leading up to it. At-risk behavior is what they are looking for, so there is a big difference between having to BK over medical bills versus a BK over gambling debts.

Comment

Freddy, the way I read the guidelines on security clearance, filing BK is better than still struggling with debt. See my blog: http://www.bkforum.com/entry.php?222...and-Bankruptcy Reading about the mitigating factors could help your husband prepare for a conversation about the BK. Showing that he is back on good financial footing and is not going to get back into trouble should help.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Freddy - did you both file? I thought it was only you...but its been so long ago I dont remember exactly. I do know that if you both filed he should've discussed it with Personnel and/or supervisor prior to filing. I seem to recall something in the regs regarding filing BK from when I used to work for the gov't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          Freddy - did you both file? I thought it was only you...but its been so long ago I dont remember exactly. I do know that if you both filed he should've discussed it with Personnel and/or supervisor prior to filing. I seem to recall something in the regs regarding filing BK from when I used to work for the gov't.
          We both filed. He did discuss it with HR and they said it shouldn't be an issue b/c they have had some other employees file.
          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

I agree with HR - it should not be an issue at all Dont worry yourself over it (although I know you will) (((hugs)))

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
              I agree with HR - it should not be an issue at all Dont worry yourself over it (although I know you will) (((hugs)))

Thanks I am nervous...lol

Comment

Depends on the level of clearance....we found that out when my hubby's clearance was not renewed and the reason in writing stated was due to the BK only. He had very high level clearance.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Did this have an impact on your DH's employment?
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                    Did this have an impact on your DH's employment?
                    The filing? I don' think so, he's still employed.

Comment

I have a TS with an SBI. When my review came up last year they didn't bat an eye. It came up, they asked me for my explanation and I'm still PRP.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X