Debtor Education Courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debtor Education Courses

So I guess I'm ready for the Debtor Education course as part of my pre-filing checklist. Any recommendations? My attorney didn't give me a list, or at least I can't find it, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Thank you.

ksgirl,

Belwo is a link to the company I used, they only charge $5.00 and is the least expensive one that I have come across. Please note that you should check your court disctricts approved list before taking the course.

http://consumerbankruptcycounseling.info
    Filed: 10/29/2011 Chapter 7
    341: Scheduled for December 19, 2011

Comment

Yes, check with the courts or your attorney on approved courses for your district. Ours was included in our attorney fee and he gave us the website to use. Our district only accepts 2 courses that are available so make sure you check with someone.

Comment

Absolutely make sure that you receive your course from an agency approved by your specific district.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by KAM465 View Post
          ksgirl,

Belwo is a link to the company I used, they only charge $5.00 and is the least expensive one that I have come across. Please note that you should check your court disctricts approved list before taking the course.

Thanks. I finally got a reply from my attorney and this was one of the ones on the list for my state. How long did it take you to complete? Just wondering how much time to block out to finish this.

Comment

Originally posted by Drazil65 View Post
            Yes, check with the courts or your attorney on approved courses for your district. Ours was included in our attorney fee and he gave us the website to use. Our district only accepts 2 courses that are available so make sure you check with someone.

Seriously? There were 67 listed for my state.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
              Thanks. I finally got a reply from my attorney and this was one of the ones on the list for my state. How long did it take you to complete? Just wondering how much time to block out to finish this.
              If I recall took about 2 hours as the course is timed for each question, I think the reasoning for this is is you actually take the time to read and understand the material and questions.

KAM
              Filed: 10/29/2011 Chapter 7
              341: Scheduled for December 19, 2011

Comment

My recollection is that the course materials reads that a typical time period is 2 hours, but it could take 3 hours. This is because each slide is timed. In my case, my speed-reading and knowledge of just about everything in the financial course was my downfall. Every time I tried to advance, my particular provider "reset" the clock so I ended up taking 3 hours to complete mine.

It was boring, but is required.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think the KAM465 link is okay its fine

Comment

Look here to find the list of approved classes in your area. Remember there are two classes you'll have to take. One pre-filing the other pre-discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      My recollection is that the course materials reads that a typical time period is 2 hours, but it could take 3 hours. This is because each slide is timed. In my case, my speed-reading and knowledge of just about everything in the financial course was my downfall. Every time I tried to advance, my particular provider "reset" the clock so I ended up taking 3 hours to complete mine.

It was boring, but is required.
                      I just had a few tabs open on my browser. When the clock ran out and I was able to advance, I would switch back and continue, then go back to whatever I was doing. An experienced "surfer" can get through it pretty pain free

Comment

Originally posted by walkthaplank View Post
                        I just had a few tabs open on my browser. When the clock ran out and I was able to advance, I would switch back and continue, then go back to whatever I was doing. An experienced "surfer" can get through it pretty pain free
                        My problem was that I think the timer on their site was BROKEN. You could not "see" it. So, I would think I waited long enough, only to attempt to advance. Yes, it was that bad.

Comment

My counseling had pictures or words that would randomly show on the screen. I had to write them down and answer questions about them at the end of the course, so there is no way I could've cheated by multi-tasking or whatever. Plus, the information in the counseling video was very informative at times, and I feel I am all the wiser for having paid attention.

Comment

Well I just took the pre-filing course and honestly, didn't find it very helpful. It really wasn't much different than the questionnaire I already filled out for the attorney. Oh well, on to the next step I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by KAM465 View Post
                              Belwo is a link to the company I used, they only charge $5.00 and is the least expensive one that I have come across.
                              Wow, I got bamboozled. I used bkclass.com and paid $25.
                              Filed Ch7 - July 19, 2012
                              Discharged and Closed - October 19, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X