top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about firearms? Are they 'household' property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about firearms? Are they 'household' property?

Just wondering in case I can't sell one. Thanks

Assets are assets, unless you can specifically show the Trustee that they are not yours. A vehicle in your name, but that someone else made every payment on - that is fairly clear to a Trustee. Generally, if a Trustee sees an asset, they assume it is yours.

Comment

Firearms in NC are considered a asset.sammie
      Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

certainly, i'm sure you being a gun owner understand many guns are extremely valuable, of course, others are not. if you have to list it you should find out what the value is and include it. hopefully it may be possible to include it in your exemption limitation.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I don't think the question is whether firerms are assets. I think what JJDog wants to know is whether he can exempt his firearms under the Colorado's exempton for "household goods".

I am sure an arguement could be made either way. You will need to talk to your attorney about this as it really comes down to what the trustees in your district are likely to object to. One way to avoid attention is to list "miscellaneous household goods" that includes the firearms and other household goods and hope the trustee doesn't ask for more specific information. A local attorney will know what is acceptable.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            I don't think the question is whether firerms are assets. I think what JJDog wants to know is whether he can exempt his firearms under the Colorado's exempton for "household goods".

I am sure an arguement could be made either way. You will need to talk to your attorney about this as it really comes down to what the trustees in your district are likely to object to. One way to avoid attention is to list "miscellaneous household goods" that includes the firearms and other household goods and hope the trustee doesn't ask for more specific information. A local attorney will know what is acceptable.
            I certainly agree. However, my personal opinion is that in our day and time, I do consider them as household goods and vehicle accessories. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              I certainly agree. However, my personal opinion is that in our day and time, I do consider them as household goods and vehicle accessories. 'Hub
              That's my personal opinion too. For most people they are either for household defense or household food. Sounds like a household good to me.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

For some people, a firearm is a Tool of the Trade...

If I were a Trustee, I'd measure what was and was not a "household good" by seeing if it was something that IKEA sold. But, as LIR says, Trustees and jurisdictions are all different, so best to ask a local atty who would know. Fortunately (?) as tobee says, most of our "stuff" is worth little or nothing, depending on what the pawn shop would offer you.

Comment

we were able to include all of our firearms as household....but the trustee may require names, makes, etc - along with fair market value (ours did..but then again, we have over 30)

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                    Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post

If I were a Trustee, I'd measure what was and was not a "household good" by seeing if it was something that IKEA sold. But, as LIR says, Trustees and jurisdictions are all different, so best to ask a local atty who would know. Fortunately (?) as tobee says, most of our "stuff" is worth little or nothing, depending on what the pawn shop would offer you.
                      it is in our case, actually for one of us it's or was a requirement for employment. with the firearms, no job.
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I agree with many of the above posts, particularly regarding 'Tools of the Trade'. However, many states, including Florida, do NOT have a 'Tools of the Trade' exemption. That is how 'Hub got nailed for the seven computers in our place for his 'Computer Consulting' little side business.
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                          I agree with many of the above posts, particularly regarding 'Tools of the Trade'. However, many states, including Florida, do NOT have a 'Tools of the Trade' exemption. That is how 'Hub got nailed for the seven computers in our place for his 'Computer Consulting' little side business.
                          ahhhhhh, ok. makes sense. i know tax wise it works, bk maybe not so much. i really don't remember exactly how we handle his guns. although, about 2 years before filing we sold quite a few. he still needed one to get a job.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X