top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I not be emotional about losing the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
    We just moved last month with 4 pets. It was a little bit of work but well worth it to have my babies.

Pets can get pricey with private landlords as they are all scared of the damage that can be done by the critters.

We have 2 medium dogs and 2 cats so I had to be ready to sell the pets and us to the potential landlords!!

When we went to meet with landlords to tour and/or apply, I had all of the rabies and spay/neuter certificates, a picture of all the animals and the latest vet receipts for flea control. We asked our current neighbors to write a "Pet Reference" which was awesome. We offered a pet interview for the dogs.... LOL the cats would be hilarious to try to take anywhere to be met! We offered to pay reasonable monthly pet rent and offered to have the carpets professionally cleaned once per year with a copy of the receipt sent to them in order to reduce the deposits/fees.

Overboard? Maybe.

The landlord we chose (we had 2 offer housing to us with all 4 animals) dropped her pet deposit of $2000 ($500 per pet) and $250 in pet fees down to a $250 total pet deposit and $250 in fees!! We pay $5 per pet per month in pet rent ($20) and we are having the carpets cleaned yearly for the owners. We also signed a 3 year lease which I think reassured the owners.

Good luck to you!!!
    Wow! ValleyYum... you rock! I would totally have rented to you. OP... take this advise. It will REALLY IMPRESS your prospective landlord. If it doesn't, he/she is not a reasonable person and you don't want to rent from them anyway.
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

I was wondering if you tried a modification with your bank. Is it cheaper to rent than trying to modify your mortgage? I did with my house and knocked off about $800. My interest rate is now 3.25%, coming from 6.875%. I totally understand how you feel. I'm a single mom with a single income for my child and two elderly parents. I panicked when I saw that my house was going on the auction block in September. I rushed and got a modification and thankfully it worked out. I wish you all the best.
      Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kellysmum View Post
        Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to feel a little better. Any more suggestions on how to handle the four dogs problem, besides paring down the herd?
        Although I realize this is not what you want to hear, you may very well have to give up some or all of your dogs if you want to obtain affordable rental housing in a decent area. I understand you think of them as your "babies", however the most important thing is that you find decent quality housing in a neighborhood that's safe and has good schools--and that you be able to comfortably afford the rent without stressing each month. It may very well be that a single-family home is just not affordable, and you'll have to move into a 2-bedroom apartment, which means the dogs will have to go.

I know that around here, the rent on single-family homes (other than ones in "ghetto" neighborhoods) is much higher than the monthly cost to own a similar house. So if a person is considering renting because they could not afford their mortgage, they will quickly realize that the mortgage was far cheaper than the asking rents. Now there are affordable apartments here, such as the ones where I live, but most do not allow pets, and those who do limit it to ONE small dog or cat.

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
          I was wondering if you tried a modification with your bank. Is it cheaper to rent than trying to modify your mortgage? I did with my house and knocked off about $800. My interest rate is now 3.25%, coming from 6.875%. I totally understand how you feel. I'm a single mom with a single income for my child and two elderly parents. I panicked when I saw that my house was going on the auction block in September. I rushed and got a modification and thankfully it worked out. I wish you all the best.
          She was denied a modification. Here's her thread on that: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...closure-and-WF
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks, Lady.
            Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

May I suggest that the OP requests a mediation at www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/foreclosure, and see where it goes from there? I know that my mediator in New York really goes to bat for homeowners. He contacts the banks and works out plans. Give it a try. It can't hurt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X