top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to Pushback car registration, due this month??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to Pushback car registration, due this month??

I just filed for Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) and my 341 Meeting is scheduled for next month (May). Obviously I've spent whatever money I had on the lawyer and other various fees, so I'm a bit tight on money for the time being.

Now my car registration is due in mid-April, and I've got two unpaid parking tickets to boot. Plus I have to do a smog check. With the two unpaid parking tickets, they were included with the registration fees.

Because I'm tight with money, is there anyway to delay the registration and push it back? Also, is it even possible to have a payment plan with the DMV?

Of course, I'm going to see what I can this later this week on my day(s) off, but since I'm here, it wouldn't hurt to ask!

I am in Florida, so what I am about to write may not apply to your situation. In Florida, there is no installment plan for your vehicle registration, unless you count the option of paying your registration for two years which will give you a little break on your fees, but you must pay the registration in full for at least one year. Here, the expiration date is your birth date, and you have a grace period of about ten days after that to pay your registration. My birthday falls late in the month, and so does my DH's, so I cannot say without researching if you are allowed the full month, if your birthday falls on the 3rd or 4th of the month.

We pay these at the County's Tax Collector's office.

Traffic tickets are handled through the County Clerk of Court's office, in the Civil Division. They are not co-mingled with the registration usually, unless there is a serious violation or something that would cause revocation of your Driver's License. You usually have 30 days to pay the ticket. Some districts may only allow 15 days without penalty. I have only had two or three tickets so far, so really cannot address that further.

Smog test. Fortunately, Florida no longer has inspection stations, so I cannot address this at all. Does California require a current certificate as part of the registration?

LadyInTheRed, who lives in California, would be a good person to comment on your question. I am certain she will be along later on this afternoon.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM. Reason: clean up some errant wording because I am having problems with my mouse plate and keyboard. Thanks! *Sigh*
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Yeah,

I need to call up the DMV. It SEEMS like everything is consolidated because not the form included everything, from the registration to the parking tickets. That way, I don't have to go through different offices and agencies, etc. I know that my lawyer said it's very possible for me to push and delay the payment, but that's up to the DMV. He said that the bankruptcy could help my situation a bit if I mentioned it to them. Again, it's all speculation on his part, and he's seen it happen before.

Now if I don't pay on the due date (the 14th) then there will be late charges like every two weeks. We'll see what happens. I'll ask this 'LadyintheRed' to see what she thinks.

Thanks

Comment

If the only issue were the smog check, I could tell you for sure that you can avoid the penalty by paying the fee and getting the smog check later. They just won't issue your tags and new registration card until you get the smog check. Log onto the DMV website and see if it will allow you to pay the registration fees without paying the parking tickets. If you can't do it online, maybe you can do it by going to a DMV office.

I don't think the tickets are dischargeable, but the automatic stay may prevent them from denying your registration because of them while the automatic stay is in effect. I think calling or visiting the DMV is your best option.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

This might be a situation if you have family to fallback on, ask for help in paying these fees.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            I don't think the tickets are dischargeable, but the automatic stay may prevent them from denying your registration because of them while the automatic stay is in effect. I think calling or visiting the DMV is your best option.
            Although the original amount of the fines is not dischargeable, interest or fees for not paying "on time" may be dischargeable. Your attorney should be able to assist in doing this.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X