Student Loans and Ch 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans and Ch 7?

Has anyone had any success with getting student loans forgiven in their Ch 7? If so, do you have any advice?

It is very difficult to get student loans discharged. You must show that not discharging them is an undue hardship. The only way I have heard to do that is to prove you are permanently disabled and have no chance of ever being able to earn enough income to pay off the loans.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      It is very difficult to get student loans discharged. You must show that not discharging them is an undue hardship. The only way I have heard to do that is to prove you are permanently disabled and have no chance of ever being able to earn enough income to pay off the loans.
      This is not true. You don't have to be disabled at all. You just have to be able to convince the court that you cannot maintain a minimal standard of living for yourself and your dependents if you are forced to repay the student loans. There have been cases where people have successfully discharged some or all of their student loans because they had dropped out/failed out of college, and were working a low-wage job, and could demonstrate that this was likely to continue indefinitely.

Comment

Actually, bcohen, nothing in my post is untrue. It is difficult to get studen loans discharged, you must show an undue hardship and the only way I have heard of it done is if the debtor is disabled. I didn't say that was the only way, only that I have only heard of that one way. That's the beauty of a forum like this. We get the benefit of multiple experiences.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X