Request for Service of Notices after Discharge, Chapter 7, No Asset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for Service of Notices after Discharge, Chapter 7, No Asset

I see from previous posts on the forum that others have received these notices but it seems like they were received either before discharge or in asset cases. I noticed one in PACER that is dated October 17, 2016. My Chapter 7, no asset was discharged 10/6/16 and the original creditor was IIB. My case has not closed yet.
    This collections agency is a new one to me- PRA Receivables out of Norfolk, VA. I looked them up and found some shady practices indicated:

In May 2014, Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC was one of two debt collection companies that agreed to pay a combined $475,000 in penalties and drop collection efforts on $16 million worth of accounts after the State of New York alleged they broke the law by trying to collect obligations that were too old, Bloomberg News reported.

The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk, VA, reported in September 2013 that a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in New York in 2102 says Portfolio Recovery Associates, or PRA, has pursued consumers in court without proof that their debt exists or that the amount owed is accurate. A similar suit filed by a consumer in Alabama claims that PRA fraudulently files huge numbers of lawsuits with the expectation that consumers won’t challenge them, according to the newspaper.

On a logical level, I know I shouldn't be worried but why was this filed? What would be the point after discharge in a no asset case? I am assuming I should just let it go.

As you suspected, it means absolutely nothing. I had 3 or 4 send in a "request for notice" in my closed Chapter 13/7 case back in 2010. Since the CM/ECF system (you use it as PACER, attorneys use it as CM/ECF) is totally electronic, most of these junk debt buyers file these notices (and sometimes even claims) in bulk without actually checking the case status.

Your case is discharged. They are just wasting disk space on the U.S. Federal Court's CM/ECF system.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yahoo! Thanks for the reassurance

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X