No announcement yet.

Discharge Vs Collection Attempts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Discharge Vs Collection Attempts?

In Chapter 7, I understand that creditors can continue to report to credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, Transunion, etc) AFTER discharge, and it is not a violation of the discharge order in terms of collecting a debt.

However, what if the creditor had never reported to the credit reporting agency at all, not ever, before or even during bankruptcy. Since the creditor had never reported, could the act of a creditor who is newly engaging in reporting a old discharged debt to a credit reporting agency (after the discharge date) be considered to an attempt to collect a debt? As post discharge, technically and legally it is no longer a debt.
    Last edited by adr; 02-18-2023, 03:25 PM.

No, that is not considered an attempt to collect; it is simply considered "reporting", and is perfectly legal.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      No, that is not considered an attempt to collect; it is simply considered "reporting", and is perfectly legal.
      Thanks for the fast reply!

Thats really what I thought, after much searching, I couldn’t find much in the way of my specific question, Im glad you weighed in. Much appreciated.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X