20/20 Debt collection special on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20/20 Debt collection special on ABC

Did anyone see the 20/20 insider review on debt collection on ABC tonight? Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are playing voicemails from debt collectors violating the laws. WOW. I can't believe they do that crap
    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

(Cindy, I deleted your duplicate post so all the replies will be here in one thread.)

Darn it! I would have liked to see this but didn't know it was on. I can only imagine what was aired. Collectors that deliberately break the law to strongarm people too poor to pay are scum, true bottom feeders of the worst sort.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

oops, my bad. thought i hadn't posted the first one.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I think it is a repeat of a January show.

This is the companion website for the show
        ABC News: Debt Collector Do's and Don'ts
        Tips from the Federal Trade Commission for dealing with debt collectors.

Made me glad to see the media is talking about this at least. When my mother-in-law died I got several calls looking for my husband (also deceased!) and the collector implied that the surviving family members were responsible for old debts from a decade ago. Current bills owed should come out of any estate funds of course but if not enough to cover debt, sorry, nada!! She left just enough to bury her and cover a few med bills.

Here is a useful link to statute of limitations by state and when in doubt make the lawyers settling the estate earn their fees!!!
        Statutes of limitation for delinquent debt
        August '05 Business failed.
        Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
        Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
        disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

It was a repeat. I was again disappointed in the segment because I think they should have taken it a step further to provide information on what is legal and how to handle these ogres. They should have visited the sticky's here and provided the info that is posted here in the forums so the uninformed could be empowered.
          I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

Yes, I saw this show too.......

They showed a lot about how collectors harrass, etc but not enough information for the consumer to be AWARE that this type of harrassment is illegal also...... and what to DO if it happens to them......

I too would have liked to seen the show go into more detail on how to handle these collectors. Would have helped consumers much better.....

Minny
            Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X