Disturbing Call from Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disturbing Call from Chase

I just received a call from Chase. She said hi Mrs xyz...She said we have not received a payment from you etc...I said we are having severe finanacial problems and are hoping for everything to be straightened out within a few weeks...She said well you need to pay your bills and lets work out something, I said nothing. She asked how much does my husband make and maybe we can work from there, I said I don't discuss that information with people on the phone and she said you have no choice and you need to pay your bills. I said I will not be harassed and I don't discuss financial matters with people that call...She said I have to discuss things with her because I owe them money, and said I have not right to do what I am doing...I said I hope you have a nice day, but I am no longer going to listen to this she said if you hang up I am putting you down as a refusal to pay and then you will see what happens, I hung up...did I mess up? I would definately think now I am on my way to collections!

Originally posted by rooster0330 View Post
    ...did I mess up?
    Yes. You didn't tell her to go $!*# herself and hang up before she got 3 words out of her mouth.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
      Yes. You didn't tell her to go $!*# herself and hang up before she got 3 words out of her mouth.
      I know that's what I would have done!!!!

Comment

Empty threats. Vague and general, "just wait and see what we can do to YOU!"

This means nothing and should be ignored.

Their sole goal is to make you feel anxiety and stress you out. If you end up feeling worried, they will have achieved what they want. They will try this tactic repeatedly, hoping money will fall out of your pockets and into theirs.
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Yes you did the right thing. Do not give them ANY personal or financial information. They will use it as ammunition against you. All you need to tell them is you cannot pay at this time.

I would recommend buying a phone recorder (I got one on eBay for $22 + shipping) and tell them right at the beginning you are recording the call. That generally stops the BS spewing from their mouths.

I had a series of calls from Wells Fargo Visa very similar to this call. Same sort of harrasment same wording even. After telling them I was unable to make a payment at this time they tried to bait me with "are you refusing to pay?"

Scumbags. We have retained an attorney and we are even now looking forward to filing in January.

Yeah I'm refusing to pay, I'm filing Ch 7!
          Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
          Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
          Case went without a hitch!
          I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

I'm sure that you have caller id. If you don't want to speak to who is calling, don't answer. That's what answering machines are for.

Tell them to pound sand.....
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks everyone I feel much better, so did unnerve me a little! Just of curiousity, I have been reading a lot about not telling them about financial/personal information etc...or agreeing the debt is yours, how can they use that as ammunition. You and they both know you incurred the debt so???? Also what exactly is a refusal to pay or should I say what are the ramifications of that! Thanks for all the info I have been receiving on this forum, it has gotten me through so much!!!

Comment

Hun- this is what you do.

Admit you are home. Then very quietly set the phone down. Walk away.

Go about your day.

If you talk- you lose.

Just quietly set the phone down- and let them gab away.
                Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

I have been reading a lot about not telling them about financial/personal information etc...or agreeing the debt is yours, how can they use that as ammunition.
                  They can use personal information to continue to track you down should you move; They can use your location, banking, employment information to assist in garnishing your wages or bank accounts or serving you with process.

Information is, as they say, power. So don't give them any of it.
                  Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Thanks everyone I feel much better, so did unnerve me a little! Just of curiousity, I have been reading a lot about not telling them about financial/personal information etc...or agreeing the debt is yours, how can they use that as ammunition. You and they both know you incurred the debt so???? Also what exactly is a refusal to pay or should I say what are the ramifications of that! Thanks for all the info I have been receiving on this forum, it has gotten me through so much!!!
                    Ramifications-they move on to the next caller hoping they are more easily manipulated.

Here is the long and the short of it. If you default on a card (unsecured debt) it is a civil matter (not to be confused with a criminal offense)-in short it is a breach of contract. It doesn't matter if you refuse to pay or you can't pay-the end result is the same thing-the account goes unpaid.

Don't let the use of the verb "refuse" cloud your judgment. You might have a ton of legit reasons, legally speaking, why you "refuse to pay" from identity theft to not getting the goods/services charged. If you end up in court all that matters is one thing-do you owe the money or not.

Remember, the worst thing that they can do when it comes to civil matters is to sue you. They can get al the judgments they want but they can't get what you don't have.

1. They can put a lien on your house but they can't make you sell it.
                    They have to wait until it's sold to get their judgment. If it sells for
                    less than you owe they get nothing. There are homestead
                    exemptions as well.
                    2. They can seize your bank account but if there is nothing in it that's
                    what they get. Nothing.
                    3. They can, in some states attach up to 25% of your wages-if you have
                    wages. And, if you can prove you can't pay for the necessaries
                    of life on 75% of your wages most states allow you to file for an
                    an exemption.

So let them huff and puff. Those who can do those who can't threaten.

C7L

Comment

interesting topic

So my family is over for thanksgiving dinner, including my 49 year old handicapped brother who lives on $800 a month SSI. Now john has 5 CC's and an 800 credit score, he has had these cards for 15 years, never missed a payment, low interest rates, but owes $30k total on 3 of them. some how he has managed to make minimum payments all these years, while also living on them and his $800 a month, and thats the reason for the high credit score.

So he tells me his SSI was recently cut by $50 a month and he sent Chase less than the minumum payment. The called and harassed him, etc.

So i said look john, you should stop paying all 3 right now. you cant live on $800 a month, feed yourself and pay them too. save the 2 cards with 0 balance for emergencies. Your collection proof, they cant squeeze blood from a turnip
                      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

I just received a call from Chase. She said hi Mrs xyz...She said we have not received a payment from you etc...I said we are having severe finanacial problems and are hoping for everything to be straightened out within a few weeks...She said well you need to pay your bills and lets work out something, I said nothing. She asked how much does my husband make and maybe we can work from there, I said I don't discuss that information with people on the phone and she said you have no choice and you need to pay your bills. I said I will not be harassed and I don't discuss financial matters with people that call...She said I have to discuss things with her because I owe them money, and said I have not right to do what I am doing...I said I hope you have a nice day, but I am no longer going to listen to this she said if you hang up I am putting you down as a refusal to pay and then you will see what happens, I hung up...did I mess up? I would definately think now I am on my way to collections!

Basically, refusal to pay will simply reduce your chances for any type of payment assistance in the future. Or if you decide to file Bankruptcy and they sue you every memo on your account is sent to an attorney who will argue that you have consistently REFUSED to make a payment. And why would anyone want a judgment on their record? What you can do if you're having difficulties is call them and have your account placed on a long term hardship plan that will stop the fees on the account. If you don't feel comfortable giving specific information simply give generic. All they are looking for is whether or not you can afford to make a payment monthly. Simply tell them after taxes your household income is $3000, car $300, mortgage $1500 and other expenses $500=it shows you have $700 left to make payments-Period.

Comment

Looks like a bank Rep found the site
                          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Whatever is going on, I will say that it is always the best policy to call the creditor and inform them of your inability to make payments, whether in part or in full.

If you keep your creditor informed of your situation and intention to pay, the more apt they are to work with you. This is NOT always the case. But if you always refuse to call, make payments or contact, then your answer for 'work with you' will always be 100% 'NO'. But if you make the attempt, then your chances of getting them to work with you rises to at least 50%.

Good luck!
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                              Looks like a bank Rep found the site

Or simply someone that has a clue

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X