No announcement yet.

Chase Calling My Cell Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is completely ethical for them to call 7, 8 or 10 times a day. How are they to know if you aren't answering because you are not home or you are using Caller ID to duck them. They have a duty to attempt to get in contact with you to get the money that is owed to them. Their obligation isn't to the debtor who welched on the promise/contract that they made (And I've been there, done that. I welched on plenty of debt. I was nervous, scared and certain they were coming to take my television, first born and the dust from my wallet.) their obligation is to the lender.

If they call and find the number disconnected then they recommend that the OC take the only action still at their disposal... filing suit. You signed the contract, made the promise or ran up the debt. Now man up (or woman up) and have the stones to tell them face to face (okay over the phone) that yes you are the person they are looking for and you won't be writing them a check.

It gets easier after the first time you tell one of those low life Junk Debt Buyers to kiss your butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
      It is completely ethical for them to call 7, 8 or 10 times a day. How are they to know if you aren't answering because you are not home or you are using Caller ID to duck them. They have a duty to attempt to get in contact with you to get the money that is owed to them. Their obligation isn't to the debtor who welched on the promise/contract that they made (And I've been there, done that. I welched on plenty of debt. I was nervous, scared and certain they were coming to take my television, first born and the dust from my wallet.) their obligation is to the lender.

If they call and find the number disconnected then they recommend that the OC take the only action still at their disposal... filing suit. You signed the contract, made the promise or ran up the debt. Now man up (or woman up) and have the stones to tell them face to face (okay over the phone) that yes you are the person they are looking for and you won't be writing them a check.

It gets easier after the first time you tell one of those low life Junk Debt Buyers to kiss your butt.
      Thank you for your response...but I guess posters are MISSING the fact that I am answering the phone and talking to them

I am answering each and every one of their calls and I do explain to them because of job loss that I can not pay them at the current time and ask for a payment plan or opportunity to pay a smaller amount. This is always met with sorry we can not help you.

I am manning up as you put it but I think its best going forward if I block their calls because talking to them over 80 plus times over the past two weeks is getting me nowhere. They have identified tht they have reached the correct person.

Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

I believe the OP stated a reply ago that they did answer the phone many times already though.

I don't talk to them unless it's the IRS or the student loan people. It's just my policy. I don't care if they call and call. No one's answering and I'm not even hearing it. I personally won't even answer the phone once a week or month for them. In my case I doubt they'll sue because there's nothing to take. For my specific case I reason that not answering just makes me a less likely target for them to go after whereas if I did answer then they might be tempted to try some more scare tactics. It's worked well for me although it won't work very well for others in different situations. I don't even stress over them at all anymore.
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by debtprison View Post
          I believe the OP stated a reply ago that they did answer the phone many times already though.

I don't talk to them unless it's the IRS or the student loan people. It's just my policy. I don't care if they call and call. No one's answering and I'm not even hearing it. I personally won't even answer the phone once a week or month for them. In my case I doubt they'll sue because there's nothing to take. For my specific case I reason that not answering just makes me a less likely target for them to go after whereas if I did answer then they might be tempted to try some more scare tactics. It's worked well for me although it won't work very well for others in different situations. I don't even stress over them at all anymore.
          First off , thank you so much for your response.

The only reason I answered Chase is because from reading these boards it sounds like they are sue happy and I'm trying to starve that off till Oct/Nov till we can file our Chapter 7 with the 6 month look back not having the severance pay outs.

Comment

I did the Verizon call block on my cell phone when they were literally calling once an hour. It worked like a charm. Too bad I couldn't do it on my home phone. I had to turn off the ringer, but caller ID comes through on our TV, so my kids would be watching TV and they'd call out "Chase!" Thankfully, a week or so after filing, the calls stopped altogether.

Comment

Chase called me once again today but told them the following:

I read from a script confirming who I was and that I was unable to pay due to job loss and that I did not see any change in circumstances in the near future. I then apologized, I thanked her for her understanding and hung up.

She got very upset as I was getting ready to hang up by saying I'm recording this and you can not hang up on me...

I set the blocked call on my verizon account and now I wait till Oct/Nov to declare

Comment

If you live in a one party recording state you can add to their discomfort by stating "I am recording this call for compliance with state and federal laws, now what was it you wanted to discuss?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                  In the last two weeks Chase has now called my cell phone racking up cell charges for me. I have told them each time they call that they can not call me on this cell number and give them my home number and yesterday the 7th call from them of the day, the lady laughed at me and said we have this number and we will continue to call till you pay.

I read on here that if you ask them to stop calling on a cell number they are suppose to oblige. Is their anything else I can do. I need the cell for work and if they keep racking up charges then I will not be able to pay the cell bill.

Ugh very frustrated
                  Change your cell phone number. Because they will keep calling you on your cell.

Comment

Why would you answer a number you don't recognize?

Oh yeah, might be a hot chick. :-)
                    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Oh yes, and they have a few different numbers. They might start calling again with a new number if they figure out they are blocked (they may not). Just keep adding to the Call Block.

Comment

They call because it's LEGAL and it WORKS. You can bet they the cc's run the numbers and compute down to the penny how much it costs to have the employees, office space, and telecom equipment vs. amount collected.

I'm sure any attempt by consumer groups to stop the cc's from bombarding debtors with calls has met with fierce resistance. The cc's have massive clout in Congress and they use it in situations like this or the state level.

If you think about it, how hard would it be to write legislation allowing only ONE contact by phone to verify the mailing address and then make the cc's use US mail. They already USE US Mail for their billing and collections until you are late.

So, the law sucks, but there are some great ideas in this thread.

Comment

Chase calls a lot from:

407-771-xxxx
                          210-586-xxxx (these calls tend to be from India)

Citi calls a lot from:

505-797-xxxx
                          859-283-xxxx
                          816-420-xxxx

Discover often calls from:

623-643-xxxx

For all of these there are many others but these are the main PBX exchanges.

And of course never answer a call from an 800 number.
                          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

If you live in a one party recording state you can add to their discomfort by stating "I am recording this call for compliance with state and federal laws, now what was it you wanted to discuss?"
                            Yup - and better yet - after they acknowlege who THEY are (Chase) before they say another word - all you have to do (if in a 2 party state) is ask "Is this call being recorded?" Doesnt matter if they say yes or no - either answer can be met with "okay, as I will be recording and just notified you of such" (there is your 2 party notification)

Chances are they will hang up immediately.

Also to note - you should buy a recording device that allows you to record both sides of the conversation. It costs about $50 all-in on Amazon (we bought the olympus digital recorder with the 2 way ear piece). This has worked WONDERS for us when we were doing our loan modification with all the different answers we were getting. Once they dared us by saying "you didnt record anything, do you know how many times I hear that daily?"

SURPRISE - I hit "PLAY" and when they heard their own voice and our conversation..well.. lets just say they hung up.

Dare me again... LOL

Comment

Who Else Thinks This Poster is a Collector/Troll?

Originally posted by LoadedGuns View Post
                              You borrowed money and you are not paying as agreed. It is fair. Wait till they start contacting your neighbors, friends and family looking for you. :-)
                              This is Forum Terrorism - are you an amateur or a professional Collector?

Comment

Kirby, I don't know if he/she is a collector but that is exactly what Chase will do. They were one of the first to start calling me when I defaulted on my obligations. Within 60 days my phone was ringing off the hook.

When I took the ostrich approach, sticking my head in the sand and not answering the calls... They started calling my neighbors leaving them messages for Mr. Bell to call... Talk about embarrassing. They also called other people with the same last name as myself in the local area. My only relative around here is my ex-wife. Once she told them she was my ex-wife she started getting several calls a day.

Even though they had my direct number at work, they started calling random extensions at my offices leaving messages for me. Chase wasn't the only ones that took such tactics. After the first weekend that this happened, I call forwarded my home phone to my cell and NEVER missed one of their calls again.

Of course, I'm sure they hated talking to me more than trying to hunt me because I am a jerk. I reamed every collector that called me. I demanded they identify themselves, the company and the address for service of civil papers. I quoted laws that only exist in my mind. (Heck, they are in other states what do they know of Georgia Law?) I claimed to be recording all of their calls. I was their worst nightmare. A debtor with attitude.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X