Chase Calling My Cell Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chase Calling My Cell Phone

In the last two weeks Chase has now called my cell phone racking up cell charges for me. I have told them each time they call that they can not call me on this cell number and give them my home number and yesterday the 7th call from them of the day, the lady laughed at me and said we have this number and we will continue to call till you pay.

I read on here that if you ask them to stop calling on a cell number they are suppose to oblige. Is their anything else I can do. I need the cell for work and if they keep racking up charges then I will not be able to pay the cell bill.

Ugh very frustrated
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

You listed your cell phone number on your credit application as a number they can call to reach you. Since you provided the number, they can call it. Read the terms that you agreed to when you signed the credit application for that particular creditor.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
      You listed your cell phone number on your credit application as a number they can call to reach you. Since you provided the number, they can call it. Read the terms that you agreed to when you signed the credit application for that particular creditor.

I did not list my cell phone number with Chase the CC company. When I got a car loan Chase Auto Finance my car sales person used my cell to call me on the loan papers from Chase Auto I listed my home phone.

So since I did not provide the cell to the cc I don't see how this is fair

Comment

Change your number.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

nothing seems fair when you owe money. I had several collectors calling my cell. Not sure what carrier you have. here is what i did.

1. Dont answer.no answer=no charges

2. put the numbers they are calling from in you contacts list. that way you know who is calling

3. some carriers (verizon) give you the ability to go to their website, on your account page you can add phone numbers you wanted blocked from reaching your cell. add those #'s to the list and they will be blocked
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

You borrowed money and you are not paying as agreed. It is fair. Wait till they start contacting your neighbors, friends and family looking for you. :-)

Comment

Send them a cease and desist letter with respect to the cell number. It's not binding on an OC but some will honor it. Arguing with the dummies who call you is mostly fruitless.

Again, I recommend putting down a bogus number i.e. magic jack and then calling them from that number so they know it's good.

Using google voice and changing your cell number is also a good idea.

No ring, no answer cell calls do not get charged. You can't put them in your address book with a 'no ring' ringtone?

I have an extensive list of Chase collections phone numbers (where they call from) if it will help. :-)
              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Basically they are going to call you at any number that they believe they have a chance of getting you to answer. If you answered your home phone they would call you on it.

They only want you to pay them as you promised. Until you file bankruptcy or pay them they will call you as often and at any number that they can. Since Chase is the OC the FDCPA does not apply to them.

Comment

I disagree that it is reasonable for them to call 7+ times a day just because he owes the debt. Things like this are why people refuse to answer the calls or talk to them at all. Just because the person owes debt should not mean the creditor is free to engage in a terrorist campaign of telephone harassment from an ethical standpoint. What else is calling debtor more than once a day after they've already made contact with them good for?

Here are some options for you:

1. Change your numbers.

2. Use your phone provider's "Call block" or "call screening" features, if available and economically feasible.

3. Select "no ringer" or "vibrate" for a ring tone when from their number. Alternatively if the phone does not have this option and allows you to upload tones, then upload a silent tone and set this as your ringtone for when they call. (one of these options will cover 95% of cell phones in existence)

I advise using Google Voice (GV) for your main contact numbers from now on. There are all sorts of options which will help you avoid situations like this. There's even the option to record calls, which may come in very handy when dealing with a persistent and harassing creditor or one whom is violating the automatic stay. With GV you can even set up custom greetings for each caller. So you might set up a custom greeting for them if you wanted. GV also has an option to "Block" a number so that when they call it will appear that your number is not in service. Extremely useful.
                  Last edited by debtprison; 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM.
                  Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by debtprison View Post
                    I disagree that it is reasonable for them to call 7+ times a day just because he owes the debt. Things like this are why people refuse to answer the calls or talk to them at all. Just because the person owes debt should not mean the creditor is free to engage in a terrorist campaign of telephone harassment from an ethical standpoint. What else is calling debtor more than once a day after they've already made contact with them good for?

If you don't answer, it is legal and moral for them to call you as many times a day as they want to run the auto-dialer on you.

You want the calls to stop? Answer the phone once a day.

Otherwise, the collectors have an ethical duty to do their job and collect.

If you don't want to answer, turn the ringer off.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

How does the google voice work? Do you get a number and then give them that number to call? If that is the case, wont they still call your other number when you dont call them back or answer. I dont get it I guess. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                        nothing seems fair when you owe money. I had several collectors calling my cell. Not sure what carrier you have. here is what i did.

1. Dont answer.no answer=no charges

2. put the numbers they are calling from in you contacts list. that way you know who is calling

3. some carriers (verizon) give you the ability to go to their website, on your account page you can add phone numbers you wanted blocked from reaching your cell. add those #'s to the list and they will be blocked
                        Albacore, thank you... I do have Verizon and I'm heading to the website right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mrskal View Post
                          How does the google voice work? Do you get a number and then give them that number to call? If that is the case, wont they still call your other number when you dont call them back or answer. I dont get it I guess. LOL
                          Yes that's how it works. Basically it forwards the call to your regular number(s) that you specify. It won't do you as much good unless you change numbers but going forward if you give the GV number out to everyone it can be very powerful because future creditors will only have that GV number.

There is a way to effectively use GV even when the creditors have your other numbers, however. What you do is take advantage of a feature of GV. You give out your GV number to everyone and tell them the old numbers are no longer valid. Then set GV to show your GV number on the Caller ID (CID) (as opposed to showing the caller as it normally would). If the number is not from GV you ignore it since everyone is supposed to call you from the GV number. You might even be able to set your phone not to answer unless it shows GV on the Caller ID which makes this even easier.

Not having the CID is not a big deal since with GV you have call screening and are also able to whitelist or blacklist certain callers. The caller is asked to say their name and you can press a key to either take the call or send it to voicemail. If it is a creditor and you want you can blacklist them entirely and you'll never get their calls or voicemails.

Also giving out the GV number has the advantage that it can be forwarded to any other number with ease. So if somehow a creditor does get through to your real number you can just change it without changing your GV number that you give out to everyone else.

edit:

These videos might be a little helpful in showing you a bit about how some relevant features work:

Block unwanted callers
                          Google Voice lets you easily block unwanted callers.Learn more at http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?answer=115089

Screen callers before answering
                          With Google Voice, you can screen callers before answering. You can also listen in as voicemail messages are being left and jump in at any time.Learn more a...

Customize which phones ring.
                          With Google Voice, you can choose a new number that rings all your phones at once.Learn more at http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answe...

It also has a feature where it attempts to transcribe voice mail messages and then sends you a copy by email. Some people might find this a little creepy! I think you can turn it off. BTW, I'm not sure if it is encouraged but I know it is possible to have multiple GV numbers especially if you have multiple Google accounts.
                          Last edited by debtprison; 07-19-2010, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                            If you don't answer, it is legal and moral for them to call you as many times a day as they want to run the auto-dialer on you.

I got the impression that this person did answer the calls already at least once that day but I guess I don't know? Anyway that was my experience when I used to answer calls. I talked to them and told them I was getting a deferment and waiting on it to be processed (student loans) but they kept calling every half hour. When I told them I already talked to someone and explained the situation twice they basically said "so what?".

Besides, I don't want to talk to them once a day. I think that's ridiculous. If I don't want to talk to them why should I have to? I'll send them the money when I get it or whatever. I'm not going to tolerate being harassed. There's no law which says I need to answer the phone for hostile people I don't wish to talk to. I have better things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post

I have been answering each and every one of their calls and after the 7th call yesterday, I explained that this call was for work and that I would be happy to chat with them on my home phone...I really appreciate the suggestion to have Verizon block the call, in this way I will be able to answer work calls and allow this call to go to vm or be blocked

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X