Google Voice and Amex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Voice and Amex

Here's a little tidbit that I've learned in the past couple of weeks... maybe it can be of use to someone else.

Amex doesn't seem to care what phone number you give them. If you update your account with a new google voice number, they still call the old number. A LOT. They started calling about five days after my first missed payment. For the first week they must've called 6-8 times a day. They seem to have tapered off to 2-3x/day now, but they're still calling the home number, not the GV number. If you anticipate getting calls from them, it might be best to get that GV number on record several months in advance. One month in advance doesn't seem to be enough.

My other cards (Citi, Chase, GE, Wells Fargo, Target, Cap1, Barclays, and Discover) were all given the GV number about a month before things went downhill. They've all been calling the GV number without any problems. It's just Amex that doesn't seem to update its records.

I realize Google Voice isn't an option for everyone, but if you're considering it in your planning, then just consider this a heads-up.
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Gave them all my GV# as well. If you can, change your phone#. I changed my cellphone# and disconnected my home line.
    +125K Unsecured so far. Change your cellphone#, give all creditors your Google Voice#, and turn on the "do not disturb." Now enjoy the rest of your day . Thank you Chase: I deal with you last.

Comment

Google Voice is one of the best things to come out in years. I have two, use one for creditors/companies, and the other for friends/co-workers. Only family knows my cell number
      Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
      The rebuilding begins

Comment

I also got a google voice number thanks to seeing it on this forum. However, only 1 of the 6 creditors called it. All of the rest call my home number (that was previously on the account). After ignoring the calls for weeks, I finally answered, gave them my lawyers name and that was it. Now they don't call anymore. Sometimes it is better to just address the situation instead of ignoring it.

Comment

I'm wondering if the creditors can tell its a GV number? ...and if so, would widespread use cause creditors to ignore it more and more?

Comment

Short answer is yes. GV uses prefixes (not area codes) that had to be applied for. Still, what I like about GV is that is the ONLY way you can contact me. I do have two cell phones but both phones are completely "disposable." Calls to GV are automatically forwarded to my throw-away phones unless I tell GV to answer and use my GV voice mail. I don't think creditors or CA's really care if its GV or not. They will try it.

It is amazing how technology changes far faster than collection tactics! LOL

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X