I had a legal processing fee levied on my bank account by sheriff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a legal processing fee levied on my bank account by sheriff

Are they coming to get my cars next? Sheriff's office said that I should call the law firm that got the judgement and tell them that I am declaring bankruptcy. I am scared beyond scared - my husband blames me for all that has happened - and the fact that we will be homeless soon. I am unemployed and not employable. I am sick with fear and the depression that I have been battling is not helping me get done what needs to be done.

Is the legal processing fee an attempt to collect money or is it for the sheriff to come get my cars? HELP PLEASE!!!

PANSYFACE...do you have an attorney yet???

i know this is easier said than done, but try and just calm down and let's think this through.

first, don't deposit anymore money in your bank account! if they are coming for your car, most likely you have already been served some type of summons. also, prior the creditor being able to levi your bank account they must have been grantejudgmentment.

the unfortunate part of this, is unless you have a docket number to give the law firm that put the levi on your account they will continue to attempt to collect judgmentgement. and, they can continue to levi your bank account over and over and OVER again in nj. (i don't know about other states, but in nj they can go back in your account anytime money hits the account). so if you have auto deposit stop it asap!!!!

really, at this point, i would get that atty sooner than later. if anyone does have an ejudgmentudgement against you, after you bk is closed and discharged you can file a motion to vacajudgmentudgement and get it removed.

just hold tight!!!! i know this is so hard and so scary, but it will be ok.

have you gotten notice on the car???? if so, you need to act on that immediately to prevent it from being repo'ed.

just
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

pansyface - forgive me if this is personal BUT are you disabled? If yes, have you thought about applying for SS disability (long process...) AND did your disability condition existent when you were employed and was there a long-term disability coverage at that job??

Please listen to Tobee - panic is not good (and this comes from someone who has regular panic attacks :-)

Comment

Thank you Tobee 43 for responding so quickly!! I have a fully retained attorney since May. He keeps telling me to come sign the paperwork to be filed but since I haven't sent him anything yet I wonder how he did this!

However, I have two judgements against me - I don't keep any money in the accounts except to pay a bill here and there.
        Is the term Legal processing fee mean that they are paying the sheriff or just trying to get money? I only had $20 in there
        and was denied to buy some groceries so i checked and found this debit. It also caused my bank account to go negative so ihad to put money in there to avoid another$70 in fees. I did the debtors info.

What do you mean notice on the cars - they are both paid for and 10 and 11 years old but in my name because husband at the time didn't have credit.

Comment

IamOld - No, I am not disabled but due to a whole bunch of bad circumstances - I was self-employed and lost my practice and because of other issues I can not work in my field. I worked my whole life, put myself through school and got credentials which are ALL going down the tubes - I am 61 years old and a total failure.

Comment

Originally posted by PANSYFACE View Post
            Thank you Tobee 43 for responding so quickly!! I have a fully retained attorney since May. He keeps telling me to come sign the paperwork to be filed but since I haven't sent him anything yet I wonder how he did this!

However, I have two judgements against me - I don't keep any money in the accounts except to pay a bill here and there.
            Is the term Legal processing fee mean that they are paying the sheriff or just trying to get money? I only had $20 in there
            and was denied to buy some groceries so i checked and found this debit. It also caused my bank account to go negative so ihad to put money in there to avoid another$70 in fees. I did the debtors info.

What do you mean notice on the cars - they are both paid for and 10 and 11 years old but in my name because husband at the time didn't have credit.
            first your cars i was referring to your comment
            Are they coming to get my cars next?
            ...so since they are paid for, no need for that worry...mark that one off the list.

secondy, call you atty NOW!!! right NOW!!! see if he can contact the other atty with the levi and stop it. thirdly.....have the atty email you the paperwork that you need to sign and get it done if now is the right time for you and your family, before it gets more complicated.

after all is said and done, you want to prevent as many judgements from here on in, as each motion to vacate does costs you $$ after your closed and discharge. i would contact your atty, tell them what happen and beg them to help you today.

i promise you, and i know this doesn't seem true, but it will all be alright, it will. after you speak with your atty's office you'll be feeling better!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

oh... CLOSE THAT BANK ACCOUNT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

pay your bills with postal money orders!!!!

Comment

IamOld - No, I am not disabled but due to a whole bunch of bad circumstances - I was self-employed and lost my practice and because of other issues I can not work in my field. I worked my whole life, put myself through school and got credentials which are ALL going down the tubes - I am 61 years old and a total failure.
                So sorry to hear that - I was just asking to see if there could be any disability benefit.

You are NO faliure!!! It's hard to not think that...I'm here mid-forties and filing :-) BUT we cannot allow the "system" to make ourselves think that we're failures. \\
                Hey - if you have an atty - why not just go ahead and file and be done (or on the road to being done?)

Comment

Are they coming to get my cars next? Sheriff's office said that I should call the law firm that got the judgement and tell them that I am declaring bankruptcy. I am scared beyond scared - my husband blames me for all that has happened - and the fact that we will be homeless soon. I am unemployed and not employable. I am sick with fear and the depression that I have been battling is not helping me get done what needs to be done.

Is the legal processing fee an attempt to collect money or is it for the sheriff to come get my cars? HELP PLEASE!!!
                  Withdraw any money you have left in that account, and close the account. If you have any joint accounts with your spouse, close those accounts now as well.

Sadly, your money is now safer as cash hidden in your home than it is at any bank.

And I agree, if you are unemployable, whatever that means, you might want to look into Social Security Disability or perhaps SSI, as well as things like your state's Medicaid program and nutrition assistance (formerly called "Food Stamps").

Unless the sheriff specifically said he was coming for your cars, I wouldn't worry about them right now. They are usually one of the last things that a creditor will go after because it often costs them more to deal with them than they are worth at auction.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Attorney not available - what else is new? I am trying to open a bank account just for my husband - trouble is almost all pull credit reports.

Comment

pansyface - if NOTHING local works, try Etrade - if you open a brokerage account and deposit $1,000 even for a day, they open a checking acct for you immediately. I don't know if Etrade BANK (the bank side) pulls credit or not...but I'd try that route too...

Comment

thank you IamOld - Iwill look into that - we are down to a couple hundred bucks.

Comment

thank you IamOld - Iwill look into that - we are down to a couple hundred bucks.
                          Right...same here :-) I may be a nice alternative if you can't get something local!

Comment

At this point you may just want to pay for things in cash or get a pre-paid debit card to pay bills online. You can cash checks at Walmart for a small fee. This probably isn't a great long-term plan but it will get your money out of the bank and accessible to you.

If you haven't given your attorney any paperwork but have paid for the BK already I'm sure that when he says to come in and sign the paperwork he is meaning for you to come in and get the ball rolling.

Whenever I am stressed it helps me to make a list of all the things I need to do, no matter how small the task is, and start checking the list off when I do something. That way you will be sure not to miss anything and it will make you feel like you've accomplished things.

It's not surprizing that the attorney wasn't available. He might be in court or with another client. Did you leave your number for him to call you back. Give him 24 hours to return your call and make another one then.

Lastly relax and just start doing things one by one.
                            Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

You are NOT a failure. The economic system that your country follows is a failure for the working class.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X