Judgement on pre-bankruptcy debt 9 years after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judgement on pre-bankruptcy debt 9 years after discharge

My debts were discharged through bankruptcy in 2005.

I received a call today from what I presume is a collection agency and the caller claimed that a judgement had been entered against me for a debt I incurred in 2001. I never received a subpoena.

When I told the caller about my bankruptcy and that it was illegal for him to try to collect on that debt, he said, very quickly, that he would forward the issue to his legal department and hung up. I refused to give him any other information.

I looked at my Equifax credit report online and there were no judgements listed, but if I recall correctly, the called said it was entered just last month.

I am almost sure this is a scam, but I want to be certain. What is the best way to find out if I have any judgements against me? I know that there are sites that show public records. Is there one that is recommended (and inexpensive) for this purpose?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by liric2; 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM.

i know in our county we could go to the county clerks office and look it up ourselves. also you can have someone run a search on you, must like running your name prior to a house closing. during that time they search your name and make certain for example there are no outstanding liens on you nor judgements hanging out there.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

This reads like a scam or a JDB using "illegal" methods to collect. Junk Debt Buyers, JDBs, are known to tell people that there is already a judgment entered, or they will use language which makes it appear that a judgment was entered. They are also very quick to hand up, after a quick and empty apology, when you mention bankruptcy or the word discharged!

If you have the phone number, do a Google search and see what company it is. When I get random calls, I like to tell them that "I don't know who you are" and then ask "what is the name of your registered agent in Florida?" or I'll ask them for the name and phone number of their legal counsel.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X