Persistent Debt Collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persistent Debt Collector

I filed chapter 7 and have my case number and 341 date.

I have Call Control that does a wonderful job on my cell phone. Only one collector persists and I learned that the call comes from 877-237-0512 Midland Credit Management, Inc., Midland Funding LLC, MRC Receivables Corporation, and Midland Funding NCC-2 Corporation.
    I am not sure how to handle this. Should I inform my attorney and let them deal with it?

I thought about answering and telling them I am in bankruptcy but I know that many of these calls are simply fishing calls to see if the number is valid. If I answer they will know I am valid and can spam my phone number.

BTW, Call Control does a great job of blocking these calls. My concern is that now that I am filed I believe that no collector is suppose to contact me.

You could answer, give them the name and phone number of your attorney.

Comment

You are not helping the situation by not answering the phone. Unless the phone number is disconnected, a collection agency's auto-dialer system will deem the number valid, and it will remain valid until one of two things happens: they learn about a bankruptcy filing or they learn that the number belongs to an unrelated person/business.

It would be smart to answer the phone, tell the representative "Please be advised that I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on (date) and my case number is (case number). Be advised that any further collections calls are an egregious violation of the automatic stay, and my attorney will file suit if this continues."

I guarantee the calls will stop.

Comment

bcohen's advice is the most sensible. Just answer the phone and tell them that you filed for bankruptcy protection (as well as the rest that it mentioned). There is no reason that ANY creditor should be calling you.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X