What a mess :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a mess :(

I don't know if ya'll remember or not, but my Mom was going to lose her trailer and the manager kept telling her that she needed to turn the title over to him when she moved out. She called the Mortgage company and they confirmed this.

Well, she was killed in a car accident two weeks ago and we're in the process of cleaning out her new apartment and haven't run across it, so I assume she must have turned it in.

I know some mortgage companies will require an insurance policy (our first ever company did this to us) and all we had to do was get our own life insurance and they canceled the one they were charging us an exhorbatant amount of money on.

My stepdad is distraught (of course) and we keep telling him to call the mortgage company, the trailer was a "voluntary repossession", but if they had this insurance on the mortgage, maybe he can keep it, if he wants to, that is.

If he won't call, do you think there's anything we can do? He's lost so much over the past few months, he was hurt at work and lost a finger, he and my Mom were separated because of her gambling addiction, they lost their home, were in the process of reconciliation and then she gets killed. It's been an awful couple of months. Any advice or direction is appreciated!
    Petition Filed 6/4/07 :clapping:
    341 meeting 7/31/07 :clapping: :unsure:
    First Meeting Held and Trustee's Report of No Distribution 8/2 :yahoo::yahoo:
    10/15/2007 - DISCHARGED!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Sometimes getting my Mom to talk to businesses and people she needs to is hard. So I hear where you're coming from there, Demis.

What I've found that works real well for us is,........... I'll dial up whoever. Soc Sec. Insurance. The Doctor's office. When a representative answers, I tell them who I am. That I'm <<Mom's Name>>'s daughter and we need to get some information. I tell them that Mom is with me, and that I'm gonna put the call on speaker phone so we can chat.

That way, on speaker phone, the Rep can hear that Mom is indeed part of the conversation. That I'm not asking questions or getting information without her permission. We learn what we need to know so I can help Mom get things done.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I don't have any advice. But I just wanted to say how sorry I am. That news knocked the wind out of me. Life sure throws us some crazy stuff. Again, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's death. Your step dad is lucky to have you helping him.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Demi, you are carrying a heavy, heavy burden....so sorry to hear about your mom's tragic loss.

I agree with SF - I worked with my mom the very same way before she passed away to deal with her financial and health problems. It works very well when the primary person (your dad) is just too overwhelmed to cope at the moment. He's very lucky to have your help and love at this most difficult time for all of you.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I'm really really really sorry to hear about your mom. That is devastating. My condolences. I tell people every day to live life to its fullest as if it were your last day at that, you never know whats around the corner. My father is 87 and when I take him out for the day we really have a good time together, because I don't know if it will be my last day (for either of us). We didn't have the greatest relationship growing up, but now that I'm more mature I'm making up for it.

Condolences, Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I don't know WHY I didn't think of that, doh! I used to do that with my Mom as well, that way the person could give me the info. I'll be calling my SD tonight to get together and do this.

Thanx for all your kind thoughts during this time. CMIYC, my Mom had I had a horrendous relationship, we'd JUST started in the last 2 months being a Mom and daughter and then baam, it's all gone in an instant. It really hurts.

Comment

For those of you that still have both your parents - its a whole new world when you loose one of them - thru sickness and even more tragic- by accident......

Denismom, my heart hurts for you today....... I've been there..... Yes, its hard to try to figure things out and grieve at the same time.... Wished you had had longer to build your relationship back up....... at least it was off to a good start!!

Who ever handles her paperwork for her, has power of attorney, can help you with all the paperwork you need. If no one is in charge of her affairs, someone will have to be appointed by court to handle it. A lot of times is just search and go thru things to find what you need.

Yes, check the mobile home papers closely, especially the mortgage papers. She may have carried life insurance that covers the mobile home....

Tell the landlord that nothing can be touched until the estate is settled........... and you will notify him asap.

Thinking of you.....

Minny
              Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Hi Minny. Problem is, both my Stepdad and Mom had vacated the property at the beginning of October and the Mortgage company took possession soon after. I'm not sure he has any recourse now AND he doesn't want to deal with it because he doesn't really want the trailer back. Too many bad memories. I understand that, I really do, I would have a hard time stepping foot in that place today myself. BUT if I could just find the papers she/they signed I'd have something to go on. I don't even know where to start. My Stepdad has no interest and maybe I should just let it go, I don't know.

Comment

If you are handling your mothers affairs, or if you are Executor of Estate, you can contact the mobile home place and request as Executor a copy of the Mortgage Agreement and a copy of the Repo papers....... I beleive they do have to comply especially if your mom still owed them money. They may comply real easy if they "think" they can file a claim against the estate (if there is an estate when you get all through).......

Keep me posted.
                  Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

No, she had no will, no assets (to speak of really), TONS of debt, we were actually in the process of looking into them filing BK themselves. There really is no estate because they weren't legally separated so everything belongs to my Stepdad.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X