Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrendered home-property taxes?

It's the weekend so obviously my lawyer is not in the office

We received a notice that the second half of our 2011 property taxes are due on June 20th. We had our 341 meeting a week and a half ago, received an official notice that the automatic stay was lifted and that our mortgage company is moving forward with foreclosure.

So...since we're not officially "discharged", do we have to foot the bill for these taxes, even though we surrendered the house? Our mortgage company usually paid the property taxes with our escrow, if that makes any difference.

If we DO NOT have to pay them, then do I need to contact the tax people and tell them what's up? Also, what do I do about utilities like the sewer company? We just want to be off the hook with the house.

Also, if it makes any difference, I'm in Kootenai County, Idaho.

no, the bank will pick up the taxes as they do not want to lose your house to a tax sale! i would send a copy of the discharge and let the town or county know the bank is taking the house.

i would tell them to collect the taxes from the bank. if your taxes had been in an escrow account most likely you wouldn't have even rec'd the notice since the bank would have paid them. we never did ever.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I wouldn't even bother contacting the tax collector. Property taxes attach to the property and you have no personal liability for them. But, if it makes you feel good, contacting them won't hurt.

As for the utilities, if you aren't living in the house, call them and ask them to discontinue service.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Tobee43,
        Our county sends out reminder notices every year, regardless of whether your taxes are paid from your escrow funds or not. *I* think it's a waste of money for the county to do that, but then again if they didn't send reminders, someone would complain.

Also, nothing has been discharged yet *as far as I know*. We're only a little over a week from our 341 meeting and I for some reason cannot check PACER for our status, so I'm assuming nothing has been discharged.

LITR, I know I can call and disconnect most of my utilities, but it seems like the sewer bill is one thing that they do NOT shut off. I'm not sure if I should call the city and explain, or just see how it all plays out.

Comment

I would call and tell them the house is vacant and would like to discontinue service. If you are in the North Kootanei Sewer District, you can cut off service, but still have to pay "the System Access Fee and the Bond Payment on a monthly basis". http://www.nkwsd.com/CustomerService...oPolicies.aspx I bet that is true with any water/sewer service. While you are still owner of record, you will have to pay any post-filing charges. Make sure those charges are as minimal as possible by getting the service shut off to whatever extent possible.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X