top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House going into foreclosure-should we take this rental or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House going into foreclosure-should we take this rental or not?

Hi everyone. I need advice.

Our house is going into foreclosure beginning about December 19th. We have three small but yappy dogs. They are all older. One of them, unfortunately, tends to urinate and "mark" throughout our house. We have found the perfect rental home for the right price except for one small problem-they will not take the third dog-the male which tends to urinate in the house. I don't blame them. The dog is nine years old. He has "lumps" all over his body and we cannot afford veterinary care for him. Should we try to find him a new home and take the rental, given our housing situation? Or keep the dog and pass on the rental and hope something else comes along?

C.

If the dog needs medical care, he should be with someone who can care for him. I know it's hard for you.

Comment

There are really two separate issues here, which you must consider separately:

1) Should you move out of your soon-to-be-foreclosed house now or should you wait and save money by not paying rent?

and

2) Should you give away/get rid of/euthanize this dog?

Issue #1 is a matter of state law, and how long the foreclosure process typically takes, whether there is any redemption period after the sale, or whether the new buyer can evict you right away. If foreclosure takes many months, then you may want to stay put and save your money. If foreclosure takes 90 days or less in your state, then I'd recommend moving now, as soon as you find a decent, affordable rental.

Issue #2 is both an emotional and a financial decision. I realize you are very attached to your pets (most people are) but unfortunately, if the dog has health and/or behavioral problems which cannot be cured--or which you cannot afford to treat--then it's going to have to go one way or another. In fact, no sane landlord is going to accept the dog with the problems you have described so eventually you will be faced with the choice of getting rid of the dog, or getting a place to live. Since Ohio is in the part of the country which gets pretty cold in the winter, I'm going to postulate that it's more important that you live indoors than that you keep this dog, even if no one wants it, and you end up having to give it to the pound/euthanize it.

Comment

No, I would not move until the house is out of your name. So many people get scare by mortgage company letters and move out. THe house sits empty for months or years. What stage is it at? What does your attorney say?
        chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

ohio is a judicial foreclosure state, so i would stay until the last minute as floridagail suggests.

also, your doggie. we know someone that was in a similar situation. what they did was this. they posted the "older" little yappy doggy on craigs list with full disclosure. well, to their surprise they had so many calls to take the yappy old small dog it was unreal! a young college student ended up taking him and he's doing great. since she takes him everywhere except class, his marking his territory everywhere has actually improved! he's happy, the family that placed him is happy and the young student is happy, but best of all the yappy, peeing, old, small doggy is the most happy.

i would try to place him.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X