New with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question New with a few questions

Hello! I've been lurking around the forum for a few days and am finding many of my questions answered and then opening the door for new questions! A little background - I am married with 5 children, currently not working (but did work until mid March), spouse is making about $7000 a month before taxes and insurance. When looking at Ch 7 does the means to take into consideration what we pay in health insurance each month? This year it is a little over $1100 a month just for our premium. Also, how is our state for which we use exemptions determined? We currently live in MO but have not lived here for two years. Would we go back to our previous state for the exemptions? I read somewhere if we had not lived here for two years we need to look at the 180 days prior to that two year period and use that states exemptions which would be better for us - but I just don't know.

We currently have two vehicles - one should be paid off next month but was advised not to make that payment. The other is probably sitting right at what it is worth. House has no equity we just bought it a year ago with no down payment. I can't think of any other real assets we have. We currently owe apprx $40,000 in unsecured debt, $22,000 in student loan (which I know is not dischargeable), cars about $12,000. Plus other monthly living expenses. When I gather all bills just for living expenses we are left with about $200 a month left. We actually live pretty low maintenance but just when we get a tad ahead something ALWAYS comes up. Kids need this or that, car repairs, etc.

I have contacted two lawyers in my area and should meet with them face to face in the coming week. Looking for a third. What info should I be prepared to take with me to the initial consultation? Paystubs, bills? We have no current judgments against us but I did quit paying a loan and I have a feeling they will come after us very quick based on the phone calls I am already getting and it hasn't even been a month past due.

Anyway, any advise would be appreciated.

Take your last years income tax returns, and your current one. Have six months of you and your wife's paystubs (or pay advices if you use direct deposit) Have a list of your monthly income for six months, as well as what you owe on your vehicles, and mortgage, and what you owe on that loan. Who is the lender--if it is Springleaf Financial (formerly American General Finance) you can expect to be sued.

If I have forgotten anything, someone will chime in. Welcome to the Forum.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Who told you to stop making your car payment and why?
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Why in the world would you not make the LAST payment? That is nuts!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X