Motion for Turnover Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion for Turnover Order

I received (my bank received) an Illinois Motion for Turnover Order to turn over a bank account with $3,500 in it to a creditor that has a 15k judgement against me. I know there is a $4,000 catch all exemption in Illinois, but do I need to file a response with the court or just go to court when the motion is being heard by the judge? I really don't want to hire an attorney because I'm trying to get things situated for a large bankruptcy, but also don't want to just give up $3,500 if I don't have to (I also have a car with a KBB value of 10k and a 50% ownership in a business).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like you need to get that bankruptcy going sooner rather than later. "I'm filing bankruptcy in the future" is not a defense to a creditor garnishing your bank account.
    Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

If your plan is to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, and you can exempt the $3500, then an emergency filing would be needed to stop the account levy. It is possible that your other non-exempt property might exceed the $3500, in which case bankruptcy might not be the solution.

Please see the following website for more information:
      http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...cy-filing.html

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X