Inflated deposits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflated deposits

I recently filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, pro se, following a job loss and underemployment for 2 years. At one point, our financial situation was really dire and I floated checks between checking accounts for a couple of months. I didn't realize how serious it was and it got out of control quickly. It is taken care of and it is no longer a problem.

However, my checking account is showing deposits that were really the float between accounts - the money was never actually there.

I am preparing my documents for the 341 meeting and I don't know if I should explain to the trustee in advance what the deposits are. Does anyone have any advice on how to address the deposits?

I would not worry too much about a "forensic" accounting. If the Trustee asks, just tell them that you move the "same" money back and forth. For example, I had 4 checking accounts and moved money back and forth (but they were all at the same bank). So it would, in a given month, look like I deposited over $20K, but withdrew/debited over $20K.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

A good rule of thumb in any legal proceeding is to never volunteer information you are not required to provide. Wait for the question. If it comes up, just tell the truth: The deposits are transfers between accounts.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X