top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open a new cell account while in BK Ch. 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open a new cell account while in BK Ch. 7?

First off, I'm in the process of Chapter 7 with my 341 meeting being on the 13th of this month. Everything seems to be going well.

T-mobile currently has a 3 lines for $100. This plan could save me a decent amount of money as I would only pay 1/3 of the bill. That said, the account would have to be in my name, though it would just be lines and no devices or EIP. Eveyone has a phone they are happy with. I'm currently on a prepaid line.

Question is, is this a good idea to do before my trustee meeting or should I put it off until everything is cleared up? Should I even bother, since they will run a credit check. My payment history is stellar across the board.

thanks!

It won't effect your bankruptcy to start a new plan. I don't know if the bankruptcy will keep you from passing the company's credit check, but I wouldn't worry about the inquiry on your credit report. An inquiry has a relatively small effect on your credit. With your BK, it will probably have even less. I would go for significant savings instead of worrying about an inquiry.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and signed up. I problem with the credit check and they didn't need a deposit!

Comment

That is a good thing to know that they didn't require a deposit. These cell phone companies are so fickle. I have more than... let's just say five... five phones on my account. Sometimes they won't let me upgrade without a deposit, then the next day they're letting me upgrade 5 iPhones without a deposit (on installment).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

No problem*

typo

Comment

Hey I don't mean to thread jack but I have a question that sort of falls into this threads category.

Does an EIP with Tmobile, or any other carrier, need to be included in a BK 7? If so, wouldn't one need to stop paying on those EIP plans to avoid a preferential creditor type thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Rnw124 View Post
              Does an EIP with Tmobile, or any other carrier, need to be included in a BK 7? If so, wouldn't one need to stop paying on those EIP plans to avoid a preferential creditor type thing?
              I included mine from Sprint and AT&T. Both created new accounts and the "Equipment Installment Plan" (EIP) was cancelled without the need to return the equipment. In fact, I had reviewed one of the EIPs from Sprint and it specifically states that it did not create a security interest in the device. I no longer have Sprint and that was by choice.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X