Can I get a new cell phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get a new cell phone?

Currently with AT&T for years , will I be subject to credit check if I need to get a new phone with them? Of course I could buy a used one elsewhere if needed. Just wondering if being a customer for ever helps at all.

From what I have heard you can get a new cell phone. I haven't tried to get one yet. I have Verizon, I will be getting one in the next few months. My daughter's is still on my plan and I am waiting for her payment to get paid off. She is planning to buy her own phone outright instead of having payments and having to pay me.

If worse comes to worse there are nice prepaid phones out there, too. I got one for my husband since he rarely uses the cellphone, it was cheaper in his case to get a prepaid than another line added to our plan. There are prepaid smart phone plans that might be comparable to a regular plan if it's only one person, not several on the plan.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Yes, you'll need to pass their credit check, but from what I can tell, they are only worried about utility accounts and cellular accounts that were reported as bad debt. I qualified for 10 lines.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks Justbroke! I’ve always been current on cell bills& utilities. another random question if you come back here. I noticed a very recent hard inquiry on my credit report. I’ve filled bk and been to the 341. Is this unusual? I haven’t tried for any credit cards anywhere . It was from a card I have included in the bk.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes creditors mean to do an "AR" (account review) which should be a so-called soft inquiry, but they sometimes pull it the wrong way and it's a hard inquiry. From my experience it is typically not the original creditor that does this, but the collection agencies that play games. In the end, I wouldn't expect anymore than the single one that you see.

If you see more, then it could be an actual identity theft situation and you should respond accordingly.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you're an existing AT&T subscriber with active service that has not been past due recently, they won't likely run your credit. For established customers they usually review your internal AT&T accounts to make a credit decision. That said, it is always possible that they will run a credit check, and it could be a hard pull. In my case, I got a new phone three months after filing, and then another new one just a few months ago (I'm about halfway through a chapter 13). They did not hard or soft pull my credit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X