Lawyer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawyer Question

I was looking over the list of things the lawyer told me to bring to the consultation. He mentioned all the bills because he needs to see what the balance increase was over the last 6 months? Can someone clarify why he is looking over 6 months? I'm sure I am missing something and just not comprehending or maybe I'm getting something confused with the whole 90 days of not using credit etc.

I have no clue as to what they lawyer is looking for. Some attorneys will pull a tri-merge credit report and others will also (on top of the reports) have you gather as many bills as possible. It also helps them to be prepared for any issues (large cash advances, luxury purchases, etc.).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

• xoxoamandajo
      xoxoamandajo commented
      Editing a comment
      Are purchases at the 6 month mark crucial? I didn't buy anything luxury but had bought several gift cards on my credit cards about 6 months or so ago that will likely show in the amounts. I had just thought they were only concerned mainly with the 3 month period.

• Layla55
      Layla55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Watch out for changes in account numbers and creditor names.. I had that happening, weird, I took stuff like that to the lawyer to add to the bk. I guess third parties were getting the debt. Watch for changes in whom you owe.

There's nothing interesting about purchases from 6 months ago. As I wrote, it really only depends on issues related to large cash advances and luxury purchases. Your attorney may be asking for 6 months either to get an idea, or to head off any potential issues.

I made purchases on a gas card up to and including the day I filed. I didn't know I couldn't keep the card and it was not an issue; primary because it was a small amount AND it was not for "luxury" goods or services.

Unless you made large luxury purchases or large cash advances, and didn't make payments, then you are overthinking this.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X