top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which month do reporting agencies automatically clear a BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question In which month do reporting agencies automatically clear a BK?

Month of filing + 7/10 years, or the month after? My 10 year anniversary is coming up and I’m wondering what to expect regarding the timing of my bankruptcy finally disappearing.
    3/7/11 -

There are so many different variations, that it's probably not helpful for me to say "when" they will do it. The credit bureaus (CBs) are not required to remove any bankruptcy for 10 years after the filing date. The CBs, however, have agreed to remove Chapter 13s after 7 years. Chapter 7s will take 10 years from the filing date to be removed.

Exactly when that occurs is precarious. Anecdotally, some believe that you can request an "early exclusion" from Equifax within 6 months of the bankruptcy falling off the credit report. That means 6 years and 6 months for a completed Chapter 13, and 9 years 6 months for a Chapter 7. Some have been successful in also having TransUnion remove the bankruptcy as part of an early exclusion. I have not heard much luck with Experian, but they will usually delete it in the same month (7 years or 10 years). From what I have read, a handful (not statistically sizeable) number of debtors have had Experian delete the entry within 3 months of drop off.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

For you, since it appears you filed in March 2011, you should call Equifax and Trans Union (do not dispute it by mail or online... call), and ask about an early exclusion. They may ask you "are you asking to dispute the entry" rather than have you ask for an early exclusion. Just say yes at that point, and you may complete the call with the entry being immediately deleted. Again, your mileage may vary.

Mine is coming up in May (2021) and I intend to seek early exclusion next week!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X