Student Loans for my daughter-Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans for my daughter-Chapter 7

My bankruptcy (Chapter 7) was discharged Aug-2019. I reaffirmed my house/car. I was able to rebuild my credit(~700) My daughter is a Senior
    and we are in the process of making decisions for college. When I filed for Chapt 7, my lawyer assured me I would have no problems taking out student loans for my daughter. I am considering a Parent Plus Loan but it looks like I may not qualify with a bankruptcy. I'm looking for suggestions.
    Has anyone been in this situation with a Parent Loan? I would appreciate any suggestion as to what loans may have worked for you.I'm a single mom(retired teacher) on Disability because of Lyme... trying to make it all work-Thank you

You "may" qualify with a bankruptcy on your record. I applied for a Parent Plus both during and after my bankruptcy. Approved every single time. I recently applied for a Grad Plus loan after my discharge, and that was approved as well. They are looking for "derogatory" information and while bankruptcy is an adverse event, the rest of your credit profile may be okay.

So, if your credit profile is other wise good, and it appears to be very good, then I don't think you'll have any issue since I had no issues with credit scores in the mid-600s and in a Chapter 13 some 3 years ago.

If you already have the school information, you could go and apply on the Federal Student Aid site today.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by canadusa View Post
      I'm a single mom(retired teacher) on Disability because of Lyme... trying to make it all work-Thank you
      Are you sure you want to do this on fixed and limited income for a debt that is not dischargeable in bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by canadusa View Post
        My bankruptcy (Chapter 7) was discharged Aug-2019. I reaffirmed my house/car. I was able to rebuild my credit(~700) My daughter is a Senior
        and we are in the process of making decisions for college. When I filed for Chapt 7, my lawyer assured me I would have no problems taking out student loans for my daughter. I am considering a Parent Plus Loan but it looks like I may not qualify with a bankruptcy. I'm looking for suggestions.
        Has anyone been in this situation with a Parent Loan? I would appreciate any suggestion as to what loans may have worked for you.I'm a single mom(retired teacher) on Disability because of Lyme... trying to make it all work-Thank you
        I would not take out a parent loan. Have your daughter take out the loan completely herself. With the loan completely in her name, she might get a student debt jubilee from Uncle Sam (she needs to pull strongly for the Democrats).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X