top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Se stats in California (very small minority)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Se stats in California (very small minority)

From this 2018 report "Self-Represented Litigants and the Court" - by Central District BK Court in California

There are stats all over the doc, but my cursory gleaning was

(page 7-9)

- 16% of BK7 filings in CA are Pro Se, vs 84% attorney
    - 36% dismissed for incomplete filing by pro se

- attorney got 94% discharge
    - self got 84%

(page 11) from 2014-2018, pro se's got:

- standard discharge given to 82% of electronic self filers vs 63% to paper filers
    - dismissed because of failure to file info (3% electronic , 17% paper filers)
    - dismissed because of not paying fee (3% electronic, 16% paper)
    - dismissed other reasons (5% electronic, 3% paper)

(page 25)

Since its inception in 2014 through the end of 2018, the total number of chapter 7 bankruptcy cases prepared using eSR reached 892. Use of eSR declined from 307 filings in 2017 to 105 filings in 2018

On average every quarter sees 80-100 electronic self filers. I wonder if these stats will blow up due to covid and courts being closed so long

So my analysis is that Pro Se Chapter 7 filings are very small percentage of the paper being moved in BK court.
    And an important cause for failure is mistakes in the filing, not paying fees, etc

Last edited by bornfree2; 04-19-2021, 11:16 PM.

That's a lot better than I expected. I always figured that Pro Se filers were more often just filing emergency petitions to get a temporary automatic stay. FWIW I have two past C7's as a Pro Se debtor, both with discharges.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Chapter 13 have a lot of pro se pre-COVID. Husband files ch13 on his own to stop foreclosure. Then wife files ch13 on her own to stop foreclosure on the same house. Then husband files ch13 #2, then wife ch13 #2, and so on. The number of BK filings have gone down a lot since March 2020. There is UBI in the form of extended unemployment, stimulus, and free rent funded by landlords and mortgage lenders.

Comment

There are a lot of people that try to use the automatic stay provisions in a Chapter 13 to protect property from foreclosure. This is specifically why the "serial filer" provisions were added to the bankruptcy code modifications in 2005 (BAPCPA).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X