What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

Just found out I'm facing a significant change in income. I'm losing nearly $5k a month. I will be about $3k a month short on payments.

My car is a $75k truck. Should I try to trade it in before bankruptcy? There is no way I have any equity in the truck. Would it be better to include it in the bankruptcy and then have my wife finance a new car for me? Both of our current cars are in my name only.

I have a similar question about a boat. If i sell the boat, i dont think i would get the amount i owe. Should i just include it in the bankruptcy?

I have no experience with this. I don't really understand it yet.

Wow, tough call. How much are you underwater on both the truck and the boat?
    Latent car nut.

Comment

I'm not sure. The truck has 50k miles. It's a 2021. I bet I'm under about 10-15k at the most. The boat is probably 5k under.

Comment

If you're going into a Chapter 13 and it's not a 100% Chapter 13, then you're going to have trouble keeping the boat. If your car payment is over $588/month... it won't be too acceptable by the Chapter 13 Trustee. If the re-amortization of the vehicle over 5 years comes out less that drops the monthly cost below the $588. There are ways to deal with that issue, but it will cost money out of the budget.

Remember, a Chapter 13 allows you to keep any property. But you must be able to afford that property, but not at the expense of unsecured creditors. That's why a person in a 100% Chapter 13 can keep anything that they can afford (after paying 100% to the unsecured creditors).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'm not wanting to keep the boat or the car. I was hoping to be able to keep it in the bankruptcy. I was thinking that would be easier for me than trying to trade it in or sell it.

Comment

Reducing your expenses is always a good thing when you are or are near insolvency. Personally, if I could trade in a vehicle and get a different less expensive (dependable) vehicle, I would.

I was just mentioning that keeping the truck and boat would be difficult overall. However, and re-read what I wrote above re-amortization, you could possibly keep the truck. It would depend on whether your bought it more than 910 days ago (or refinanced it at least once). Through a bankruptcy tool known as bifurcation, a vehicle that is 910 days from purchase, or had been refinanced, could be crammed down to its actual value. Combine that with a 60-month (5 year) Chapter 13, and your payments could be much lower.

These types of strategies require a good attorney that can navigate this for you. I'll try to give an example. Let's say your $75K truck is worth $40K and you still owe $55K and paying $1,110/month. You've had it 2.6 years on a 7 year (84-month) loan. In a hypothetical Chapter 13, that vehicle would be stripped down to $40K secured with the balance of $15K being unsecured. You would pay the $40K over the 5 years of the bankruptcy at about 6.25%... but the issue with that is it's still over $600/month (it's about $775/month for 5 years).

Bottom line is that vehicle would be difficult to keep unless you have really low payments. If your payments are less than $600/month I would keep the truck.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Got it. This stuff is confusing to me. I should probably meet with an attorney to see which is best.

Comment

Originally posted by Lookyzark View Post
                Got it. This stuff is confusing to me. I should probably meet with an attorney to see which is best.
                Absolutely the best path forward. In fact, schedule a free consultation with 3-5 attorneys and pick the one that you like the most.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X