Equifax EE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equifax EE

I have been reading various posts on whether to ask for an EE or not. Some say ask, others say don't ask and just let it age off automatically. I have a negative account that is scheduled to drop off 11/2023, I know it's just a few months away but I would really like to see it off sooner if possible. I'm curious what's the current opinion on asking for an EE from Equifax. Thanks for any info!

The typical advice regarding Equifax is to not ask for an EE. Why? Apparently they get annoyed by such requests and that can result in the opposite of what you're wanting to happen. How? Typical drop offs are 7 years, however, by law they can be kept on for 7.5 years, and I've read anecdotal accounts of folks requesting an EE from that credit bureau; not only was the EE denied, but the account stuck around for an extra six months.

When my Chapter 13 was aging off, I opted to let my bankruptcy age off organically, Equifax and TransUnion both aged off at exactly 7 years, Experian aged off at 6 years 11 months.
    Last edited by shipo; 08-29-2023, 04:49 PM.
    Chapter 13 (not 100%):
    • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
    • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
    • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
    • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
    • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
    • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
    • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

@ shipo I have read your posts in various forums, so I value your response. Thanks! I think I will just
      let it fall off in 3 months. Thanks!

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      The typical advice regarding Equifax is to not ask for an EE. Why? Apparently they get annoyed by such requests and that can result in the opposite of what you're wanting to happen. How? Typical drop offs are 7 years, however, by law they can be kept on for 7.5 years, and I've read anecdotal accounts of folks requesting an EE from that credit bureau; not only was the EE denied, but the account stuck around for an extra six months.

When my Chapter 13 was aging off, I opted to let my bankruptcy age off organically, Equifax and TransUnion both aged off at exactly 7 years, Experian aged off at 6 years 11 months.
      Last edited by shipo; 08-29-2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Just note; I changed "Equifax" to "Experian" on the last line of both of the above posts. Sorry, my bad.
        Chapter 13 (not 100%):
        • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
        • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
        • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
        • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
        • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
        • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
        • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

If you read my notes on this you will find that the golden rule is NOT TO BOTHER Equifax. I stand 100% behind my research on this topic. Equifax is just problematic and is not worth the problems.

Originally posted by justbroke
          Bottom line is this. Equifax: don't ask them! Experian: don't ask, but they'll automatically do this 3 months before the deletion date. Transunion: ask them and they will allow an early exclusion 6 months before the deletion date. Transunion can be done with a simple online dispute the first of the month.​

So, here's some things I have learned as my Chapter 13 aged off my account: Assuming that the debtor filed a Chapter 13 on May 28, 2014. Assuming that 7 years from May 28, 2014 is May 28, 2021. (For a Chapter 7 it would be 10 years from May 28, 2014 which is May 28, 2024. The same early exclusion periods would apply at 6
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X