Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking account freeze

Can a bank freeze your checking account when you file bankruptcy

There's only one bank that is notorious for doing this: that bank is Wells Fargo. That's all I need to say about that.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

And that’s my bank

Comment

There are a few general rules in banking, but the first is to never eat where you.... defecate; you get the idea. So never have deposit accounts where you have credit products.

Having wrote that, some have moved direct deposits and their other banking (for demand deposit accounts) to another bank for many reasons. A nice local bank/credit union may be a good spot. I can't guarantee that those local banks aren't crazy as well, but WF is notorious when it comes to this issue.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Are credit unions ok

Comment

As long as you don't have a credit product with the credit union, opening up a checking account is typically okay and will not get frozen. However, if you have say a credit card with the credit union, and that card A) has a balance, and B) will be included in the bankruptcy, then credit unions typically cross-collateralize the accounts.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

I had a checking account and credit products with Wells Fargo. My attorney advised me to move the money to another bank before I filed because Wells Fargo would most likely freeze my account.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X