Lease Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Question

I am planning to file chapter 7 within the next few months, but currently I am all paid up on all my bills. I am going to lose the house because it's not worth keeping due to owing more on it than it's worth, so I applied for a lease at a townhouse and was approved, but I am looking over the lease and it states that if I claim bankruptcy after signing the lease they have the right to immediately end the lease and take my property! Does this mean only if I try to get out of paying them rent, or does it mean I can be on time with all my payments to them and still get kicked out?? I don't know how they would even know about a bankruptcy, unless they periodically pull my credit, but would a rental agent actually do this? Any advice is appreciated, as I am supposed to sign the lease this week.

The lease isn't worried about you filing bankruptcy surrendering your house - they are worried about you filing bankruptcy oweing the new townhouse owners rent that you try to discharge in the bankruptcy. You do plan to make your rent payments on time, right? As long as you do, there's no reason for the townhouse to take your belongings in lieu of late rent.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

no need to tell them and they won't know. i didn't list my lease on my creditor matrix
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X