cell phone contract question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cell phone contract question

I have done some searching on the forum but haven't really found an answer to my question...so here goes.

It is time to renew our Verizon cell contract...new every two thing in place. I have to have a cell for my job and have been with Verizon for 6 years, never late or any problems with them. We have a Family Share plan and my two sons are on the contract also...they pay a portion of the bill each month also. It is a basic plan, have never gone over limit on minutes, etc... They are, of course, anxious to get "new" phones this weekend since all their friends have them...

My question is, does anyone have any experience when renewing their contract with Verizon Wireless? By that, I mean, basically going into the store and just "re-upping" with basically the same plan, getting their new phones and leaving the store....? Do they redo a credit check when you renew? As I said, have had no problems with Verizon but have just recently started to not pay my monthly cc bills as I get ready to file.

I guess I don't want to get surprised or embarrassed this weekend. I really don't consider this a luxery as it is necessary for my job. But any thoughts would be appreciated.

Our Sprint contract came due to renew last year while we were in our 60 Days for Objections period. Not yet Discharged.

We went to Radio Shack, got new phones, reupped the plan, and that was all there was to it. There was no credit check, no hassles.

I **think** as long as you're current with your present provider, you won't have any problems. If you were behind with Verizon and looking to change carriers, then you might have issues.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Thanks for the reply...that is what I had thought and am hoping. It is amazing the things that run through my head and how much time and energy it takes from me.

I am hoping it is just a basic walk in, get new phone, re-up, walk out type of thing. Quick and painless would be great.

Comment

We are also long-time customers with Verizon and on the family plan as well. All three of us got new phones and we updated our contract last fall while in Ch 13 - didn't have any problems.
        Last edited by lrprn; 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

i keep up with the inquiries on my credit report and haven't see an inquiry since I first opened my plan 6 years ago. I've upgraded, added, and renewed multiple time and no new credit inquiries. I think it depend on your credit with them more than anything.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

new every two cells

fedup -

Same thing here.

We are going this weekend as well to get the "new every two" phones. It has never been a problem for us either. No re-credit check or anything and our bills are paid current with Verizon as well. We are however looking to lower our minutes - we don't use any phone a lot, so we want a much smaller bill.

The only time we ever had to pay anything towards them was when one of the phones was a little bit fancier camera phone. Otherwise, I believe it was a $100 credit towards the phones on our particular plan - which covered two out of the three. This time, I'm going to see if we can get all three for that much - don't want the camera phone this time - they take poor pictures anyway (especially at concerts).

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Mrs. H; 06-29-2007, 02:44 AM. Reason: additions
            March 2008 - Filed Chapter 13
            May 2008 - Confirmed
            May 2013 - Discharged / June 2013 - CLOSED

Comment

In my experiance, Verizon got wind of my Chapter 7 and the placed my on a different "level" and the account "restarted". I was never interrupted in service, but I had to renew my online log-in, and all fees I incurred between 4/17-4/30 were wiped out and payments I made we applied to the next bill on the "new" account. I filed on 4/17 and Verizon "restarted" my account on 4/30. They tell me that this should not effect my new every 2 program.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X