A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions

general background, unemployed full-time student who is going to file for chapter 7 (took a very long time to come to this decision) 1. I receive money from my mother for bills (tuition food gas rent etc etc) I "own" pretty much 2 computers but have a ton of stuff here that was, I guess, given to me by my mother, as far as my personal stuff and what I put down as assets should I put everything in my room (i live with g-ma, mom is in NY), 2. I will have around $2000 in my bank account around the time I file, can that be affected as it will be used in the coming weeks to pay my upcoming tuition? 3. How do i deal with my monthly income when it varies from month to month ? I probably should get a lawyer but I cannot afford one at the current time, so I'm asking as many questions as I can, if I'm asking too much just let me know and I will dial it down some.
    Filed for Chapter 7 8/10/2007
    341 Meeting 9/13/2007
    Final class done 11/29/07
    Discharge ??/??/07(8)

Originally posted by resetplz View Post
    1. I receive money from my mother for bills (tuition food gas rent etc etc) I "own" pretty much 2 computers but have a ton of stuff here that was, I guess, given to me by my mother, as far as my personal stuff and what I put down as assets should I put everything in my room (i live with g-ma, mom is in NY),
    You list everything you personally own under "household goods". You don't have to detail it out - just list the general amount you would get if you sold what you personally own at garage sales or on ebay.

2. I will have around $2000 in my bank account around the time I file, can that be affected as it will be used in the coming weeks to pay my upcoming tuition?
    It depends on which state you live in and how much that state's exemptions can protect your cash. What state do you live in? Are you living at home while you are going to school?

If it's possible, plan to pay your tuition in full before you file. You need to have as little money as possible in your account on filing day.

3. How do i deal with my monthly income when it varies from month to month?
    When you file, you take all the gross income you get from all sources for the last six calendar months before you file. Double that - that's your income to compare against the median income for your family size in your state. If you are below that, then you can file Ch 7.

Keep asking questions. We'll help you as much as we can.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Oh! Sorry I forgot to put I live in Florida, I'm going to try and pay my tuition as fast as I can also. Now 2 more things i can think of before i get some rest
      1) Can it hurt me if i tell my mom not to give me the money she usually gives me until this is all over ? well at least not in a check ? maybe gift cards and such (just wondering, honestly not trying to cheat, I just don't want to be punished because I spend more money on something than allowed)
      2) After I file, what do I do about my money situation ? After I pay for tuition and books I will technically have some spare cash, how do i avoid having that taken, not enough to go splurge but maybe 2-300 bucks to buy some "interview" clothes, or do you guys think i should just go about my days normally so i don't look suspicious (doing this out of need not luxury)
      341 Meeting 9/13/2007
      Discharge ??/??/07(8)

Comment

the gift card thing is a good idea. that way it is that....its a gift! I don't think anyone will fault you or your mom for her giving you a gift card or two for food or clothes for school. keep receipts just in case on what you spend. And I would have your mom hold on to any gift cards until you actually need them that way you don't posses them at any time. By the way, sounds like you have a great mom to help you out this way!!
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

yeah I LOVE my mom I did her a disservice by getting my self in this situation but she is there for me as much as she can be :-).... you say don't keep it in my possession now my major question is when i list my assets and such how is it known I'm telling the truth ? Will someone be order to come in my house and inspect the items themselves ?
          Last edited by resetplz; 07-31-2007, 04:46 AM.
          341 Meeting 9/13/2007
          Discharge ??/??/07(8)

Comment

Will someone be order to come in my house and inspect the items themselves ?
            99.9% of the time, no one will come into your house to see what you actually have.

The 0.1% exception happens if the trustee thinks you filed fraudulently by underestimating the value of certain very valuable possessions or hiding expensive assets such as art, furs, etc. Then the trustee will send someone knowledgeable to your home to assess the true value of whatever he/she feels is undervalued.

This isn't something typical filers need to worry about at all (unless you *are* hiding or undervaluing significant assets! )
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED

Comment

Oh ok cool, I was just wondering because I going to put the stuff I know is "legally" mine but if someone came they may wonder about my furniture and such but that is all stuff my mom left in storage when she moved.
              341 Meeting 9/13/2007
              Discharge ??/??/07(8)

Comment

Oh ok cool, I was just wondering because I going to put the stuff I know is "legally" mine but if someone came they may wonder about my furniture and such but that is all stuff my mom left in storage when she moved.
                Your mom's stuff is hers, not yours. Even if it's in the same house you are living in, you only include the stuff that you purchased yourself or was given to you as a gift.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED

Comment

Thanx for all the help I can't say it enough but you and everyone else answering helps alot espicially knowing I'm not alone :-)
                  341 Meeting 9/13/2007
                  Discharge ??/??/07(8)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X