top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Home and Auto Insurance went up and I mean way UP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Home and Auto Insurance went up and I mean way UP!!

You may want to shop around for a different insurance company. When we filed ours went up so we called around and found that Geico didn't check credit scores so we switched to them and our car insurance went back down.
    Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
    Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

I go thru geico, too. I think their rates are actually pretty fair. It didn't increase when I filed bk and it didn't increase when my husband was in an accident. (it actually went down!)

Comment

How about home insurance?

Comment

I feel for you, really do. I think it is absolutely B%#& S&*@ that any state is allowed to do this.....I am just glad I live in a state (MA) that prohibits this predatory behavior.
          Filed Business Chapter 7: 7/11/07
          341 Meeting: 8/8/07 Asset Case
          US Trustee reviewed case/resolved 9/14/07
          Discharged: 10/11/07 Closed: 11/2/08

Comment

sorry to hear that....hope your luck changes with the bk and fresh start....guzzie
            case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
            DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
            case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

(This was posted by Boscoe - had a glitch merging your duplicate threads...)

I feel for you, really do. I think it is absolutely B%#& S&*@ that any state is allowed to do this.....I am just glad I live in a state (MA) that prohibits this predatory behavior.
              Last edited by lrprn; 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM.
              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

(This was posted by Guzzie in your duplicate thread...same merge glitch....)

sorry to hear that....hope your luck changes with the bk and fresh start....guzzie
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Comment

State Farm does not do credit checks. I live in California.
                    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I had that happen to me also and I dont understand the logic of credit being tied to insurance? I mean cmon, if someone is already struggling is the logical thing to do really to raise everything for us and let us get into more struggles?

Comment

I have State Farm as well. I'm nearly 2 years post bk and have had no increases.

Comment

Because most of us in this Forum have credit problems we do not want to hear about credit scores being use for insurance.
                          In Texas the State Board of Insurance asked Texas University and Texas A&M University to study the correlation of both good and bad credit history on the number of insurance claims filled.
                          The results showed the lower the credit score the more claims were filled. Better scores over 700 filled less claims. It just make sence to me.
                          With this information most states allow companies to use credit scores to affect insurance rates.
                          You can try to find a company that does not use this practice as a way to keep your rates low. Otherwise ask wisely and get the credit scores back up above 700.
                          regards,
                          emoney

Comment

Yes, many insurance companies check credit scores. I know. That sucks. This year I switched to Geico (from Farmer's) and very nearly halved my car insurance payment. My story is in this thread here: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=geico

I don't know what to say about home owners insurance, I don't own a home.
                            Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
                            Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
                            Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
                            11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

We've always enjoyed a low rate of insurance with Allstate due to our previous good credit. Hopefully it won't go up. We've been with them for 10 years and only have one claim, which wasn't our fault. Our brand new vehicle was damaged by a large falling object during a windstorm while parked in our driveway. Other than that, there have been no other claims, accidents, or anything.

We've never filed a claim with our homeowners insurance once since we've had it (Travellers). We bought our home 9 years ago. I always look upon homeowners insurance as something to cover a catastrophic loss like a fire or tornado damage. Years ago, we had a bad ice storm and my grandmother's gutter and porch was damaged. She filed a claim, her first claim in 30 years of owning her home. Her insurance went from $300 a year to $900 because of one small claim. So I learned my lesson well and I would never file a claim on something small. LOL, the house would have to be in pieces or something before I'd call.

I'll be really mad if they raise our rates because of bankruptcy. I'll have to switch to Geico or something. I think it should go by the amount of claims instead of credit profile. If is true that people with bad credit have more claims, they should look at each situation on a case by case basis, the amount of claims or accidents, ect.

Thats a huge jump to almost double insurance prices. I'd definitely try to switch.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X