How did you hire your attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you hire your attorney?

I plan on filing April 1 and want to start lining up attorney meetings. For those of you that used an attorney, how did you find yours? Thanks!

I looked in the Yellow Pages!

My first choice of atty (liked his ad, also his website) was not available as he was tied up for a month, and his office recommended another local BK atty. I went to see him and didn't like him at all. So I just bided my time, called the first guy back and finally got an appt. He was absolutely wonderful. His wife was his paralegal and she too was a very good professional. Plus they both were very caring......I had some other family problems going on at the time (my Dad's hospitalization, my Mom's death), and they just went beyond the call of duty in being there for me. They even sent me a dish garden and beautiful sympathy card when my Mom died.

I will always think of my BK attorney and his wife as real blessings in my life!
    Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
    341 Meeting July 19, 2007
    Discharged September 17, 2007
    Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

I asked my sister to ask her long-time local business lawyer for recommendations, searched the local yellow pages, and did online searches at reputable online lawyer search websites like www.lawyers.com. Those bk lawyers who were trustees, who practiced bankruptcy exclusively, and who had at least five years experience filing at least one Ch 13 case every month went onto my list. I then did internet searches for each of them looking for complaints or unfavorable news stories about them or their firm.

Then I set up free initial interviews with four of the lawyers that had the best combination of qualities I was looking for. My husband went with me for every interview. We brought our financial information and a long list of questions with us to each meeting. After we met with all four, we picked the one that we liked best - he happened to be one that my sister's lawyer recommended, had more than 10 years filing both Ch 7 and Ch 13, and worked exclusively in bankruptcy. He was open and honest with us, listed his fees and what services he would provide for them up front in writing, and was responsive to all our questions.

We became a test case in our bankruptcy district for two gray areas of the current Ch 13 bankruptcy code so we needed a really good lawyer. Ours has been fantastic! Would recommend him to anyone. We're proof that taking the time to research your lawyer pays off very well!
      Last edited by lrprn; 02-22-2008, 10:13 PM.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I called my old lawyer up back when I filed Ch7 in the early 90's, and discussed what the new law was etc and his fees in Dec 2006. Than I was surfing the net for local attorneys in my area. I didn't decide THAN. But when Summer hit, I consulted my big brother and he suggested a lawyer. I noticed it was the same lawyer I had viewed when I was surfing and decided to go for that one (assuming my big brother had used him at one time). Worked out great!

Catchmeifyoucan
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Well....this is going to sound cheesy but I actually found my lawyer on eBay...he had an ad on there, not an auction. I wasn't searching for an attorney on eBay, I was actually looking for the NOLO book because I was thinking about filing Pro Se.

I really hesitated to call him and had consults with three other attorneys that left me feeling cold before I decided to call him just for the hell of it. I got a call from a credit agency at work and it just pushed me to pick up the phone and call.

I did some more research on the web about him and I really liked what I found. I scheduled an appt with him and he made me very comfortable and answered all my questions. I can and do call him with all my questions whenever I need to at no charge. I like him.

My case is far from over, but so far I am pleased.

EP
          California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

O/T, Epiphany I just noticed your sig line.....ROTFLMAO!!!
            Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
            341 Meeting July 19, 2007
            Discharged September 17, 2007
            Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia View Post
              O/T, Epiphany I just noticed your sig line.....ROTFLMAO!!!
              Just telling the truth, Cass!

EP
              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

The first attorney I consulted I found in the yellow pages. After that initial interview, I began reading the BK Forum and learned a lot. I got a Pacer account and looked up a bunch of Ch13's in my area. There were two attorneys who filed a lot of 13s. I called one, but he never called me back. Then I called the other one and liked her a lot. So far, so good. I figured if she had filed a lot of 13s, she knows the Trustee well. The first attorney I went to had not filed a Ch13 in over 6 months. It cost me about $20 in Pacer fees, but I thought it was well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by kdinhi View Post
                  I plan on filing April 1 and want to start lining up attorney meetings. For those of you that used an attorney, how did you find yours? Thanks!

Our attorney was a referral from a former boss of mine (attorney) who is now retired and a long time family friend who handled other things for us in the past after I left his employment. I called him in confidence when things got bad cause we really did not know what to do and he gave me great advice. He also told me he would check on a few things and make a few phone calls to his "buddies" since he did not handle bankruptcies and would call me back. He did the next day and gave me the name of a highly recommended attorney in our state who handles BKs. Turns out that this attorney is highly regarding and well liked and has a great reputation; regarded as one of the tops in BK in our state. We had excellent representation with this attorney and always had responses to our questions, phone calls and emails either from him or his paralegal. I alway stress for one when considering filing BK, to call their State Bar Association for some references to the top BK lawyers in your state.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X