Told my first credit card company....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Told my first credit card company....

....that I'm planning to file BK. It was my Sears card calling. He asked if I could pay. I said I couldn't. I told him that I was planning on filing BK. He asked me if I had filed yet. I said that I am hiring an attorney. He told me to get them the case number, etc as soon as I could so I would stop getting calls about the account. He was very friendly and seemed understandng. It was strange saying those words out loud to someone other than my husband and here on the boards.

Congrats on that big ice breaker! It only gets easier from this point on--I kept the atty's card by our phones, and actually looked forward to telling them after awhile. Just a tiny bit of therapy, haha. I would say 99% of them were really nice--the only punks were a couple of guys from our mortgage co.. Good luck!

Comment

I had much the same experience, most of them were nice. I too kept my attorney's card by the phones, but after I while I'd totally memorized it! 98% of them were very nice about it, just took the information. Only one refused to take it until I had a case number. Now I have the case number and the calls HAVE STOPPED!!

Many of the ones I gave the attorney's info to had stopped already, there were only a couple of stubborn ones. It really depends on their corporate policy.

I think once you've retained an attorney, and the attorney acknowledges that to them, most will stop. That's what happened in my case.
      Chapter 13 on the horizon
      My Chapter 13 Journey Blog

Comment

Yeah...I'm hoping to make my first payment towards the lawyer's fee next week. I should be able to pay at least a third or a little more.

Comment

I enjoyed telling my creditors also my attorney information, most of them were nice to me for the first time. Just be careful of certain collection agencies especially the one for Capital One...they will hang up on you before you give them the information but they will make a rude comment before hanging up on you....stuff like "you need to file BK looking at your credit" "its a surprise you have anything"....Its okay now I don't have to worry about that ever again ....hopefully! Good luck
          Filed 12/31/07
          Discharged 04/21/08

Comment

Wow, I can't believe someone would say that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brookamy View Post
              Wow, I can't believe someone would say that!!!
              Remember, most collectors are uneducated yahoos, probably released from prisons.

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                Remember, most collectors are uneducated yahoos, probably released from prisons.

Comment

Hi Brook,

Congrats on handling the 1st call. Don't worry, it'll get better, most of my creditors were very nice...it was Chase that would call repeately...

Hang in there.
                  May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                  May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                  May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                  9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I can't wait for that day!!! Congrats and hope it gets easier for you here on out!

Comment

I read on a couple other threads that collectors said "you should just kill yourself" or something similar.. I am amazed at the tactics used by these people. And yes, if you see the working conditions and what these people really look/act like, you'd be very surprised.
                      "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
                      6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
                      8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
                      9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

ive gottem most of my bills in the mail im actually about to make my 1st few calls to the creditors right now. my atty told me exaclty what to say. im still nervous tho lol
                        retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                        10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                        09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by magyar123
                          "Remember, most collectors are uneducated yahoos, probably released from prisons"

And yet they act as if they hold a high ranking job. Too Funny. I found the men to be easier anfd more friendly than the women.

Comment

Originally posted by sick of debt View Post
                            Originally Posted by magyar123
                            "Remember, most collectors are uneducated yahoos, probably released from prisons"

And yet they act as if they hold a high ranking job. Too Funny. I found the men to be easier anfd more friendly than the women.

I DISAGREE ON THAT BUT I WONT GET INTO IT.

i called my 1st 3 creditors just before and they were all very nice, the lady from chase was so sweet it was unbelievable, she pointed out how i was never late and said she was really sorry things werent going well for me now, she wished me the best of luck....i still have a ton more to call.
                            retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                            10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                            09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=bk4sky;178678]I DISAGREE ON THAT BUT I WONT GET INTO IT. (im a debt collector, im very well educated, never treated anyone with disrepect. you gotta remember, debt collectors are simply doing their job, if your late on a bill you are going to get collection calls. that doesnt mean they are bad people.

i called my 1st 3 creditors just before and they were all very nice, the lady from chase was so sweet it was unbelievable, she pointed out how i was never late and said she was really sorry things werent going well for me now, she wished me the best of luck....i still have a ton more to call.
                              10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                              09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X