Crediors updating BK accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Crediors updating BK accounts

Question: I filed Ch 7 in Jan 2003 and was discharged Jun 2003. I checked my most recent credit reports and TU is reporting that three of my BK accounts were updated in Jan 2008. The balance is blank and after reading through the threads I need to dispute that to $0.00. Is this legal for the creditor to continue to update their 3 accounts?

Thank you for any insight!

Windy, technically speaking, those three accounts should show up as IIB (included in bankruptcy). It's legal for those creditors to continue reporting, but it has to be accurate information. You can dispute it if it's not.

Good luck!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

thank you for the feedback. if the account is listed as IIB and the date field updated is the "date of first maj delinq" does this date matter if the IIB notice is there? My mind says yes that it must negatively impact me.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I suppose you could call the creditor directly and ask them to stop reporting to your credit reports. It's worth a try.
        Bankruptcy History:
        Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
        Discharged - 02/16/2006
        Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by windywoman_00 View Post
          thank you for the feedback. if the account is listed as IIB and the date field updated is the "date of first maj delinq" does this date matter if the IIB notice is there? My mind says yes that it must negatively impact me.

Any thoughts?
          Had the same thing happen to us and I'll bet it is only with one of the 3 reporting agencies (ours occurred with Equifax only). During the past year, we noticed that several creditors were reporting correctly but then listed under the field "Date of First Major Deliquency" a date past our discharge date of 8/06 - some of the dates listed were in late 2007! You will need to dispute those dates; you will not be able to dispute via a plain letter itself. Dispute via certified mail, enclose a copy of your Discharge Paper and a copy of your credit matrix page showing the creditor listing that new deliquency date on your credit report and include in a cover letter that you filed BK on XXXX date and you were discharged on XXXX date (if you don't include your paperwork, they will just get back to you to send it). Dispute those dates as incorrect on your report under those credits as they are clearly incorrect since they are past the date of discharge.

Other folks have run into this within the past year also - yes, it you don't clean it up, those new dates can change when that account can be removed off your reports as it would extend it 7 years beyond that new date for someone not taking care of cleaning up their credit reports.

We noticed that most of the several creditors utilizing these new dates were associated in some way with WFNNB.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X