What difference between PRIVATE and GOV'T student loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What difference between PRIVATE and GOV'T student loan

is gov't student loans ONLY under sallie mae?

i have another student loan under Great Lakes Education(no sallie mae on it)

If you did not fill out government paperwork as to your loan and your loan was through a regular bank/lending institution, you have a private student loan. My daughter receives Stafford Loans and we get bombarded this time every year with all sorts of private institution loans trying to hook us to make up any difference the Stafford Loans do not cover.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

thanks for the quick reply, i think my great lakes education loan had some white/black federal documents in it......

Comment

I'm pretty sure Sallie Mae loans are government-backed (guaranteed) loans.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillymanhere View Post
          I'm pretty sure Sallie Mae loans are government-backed (guaranteed) loans.
          correct.
          retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
          10/30/10- WEDDING!!
          09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Sallie Mae also manages private loans. The easiest way to find out is to call and ask.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

In regards to BK, it doesn't matter a student loan is a student loan is a student loan.

Good Luck
              Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

You are right. I have a few federal student loans as well as a private student loan. Both get treated the same for BK purposes.
                9/03/08...Chapter 7 Filed
                10/06/08...341 Meeting Done!!! No Objections
                12/08/2008...Case Discharged and Closed!!!

Comment

So private student loans are the same as government-backed student loans as far as bk is concerned?

I understand the law disallowing bk for gov-backed loans, as the gov will is on the hook for any loan not paid off ... but I would think that purely private student loans (with no government guarantee) would be allowed under bk ...

But this is incorrect, you're saying?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X