Garage Sale Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Sale Value?

I got a letter from my Attorney stating a list of items I am missing. One of them is "what is the garage sale value of your household goods"?

I am not sure what to put down for that, and does it include your appliances? I don't have a ton of expensive anything, but if you did what stops people from just tossing a tiny amount down do they come inspect your belongings?

Thanks
    Filed 10/20/08
    Discharged 1/27/09

Hey, Mark - I was just thinking about you yesterday! Any sign of that baby yet?
    Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
    341 meeting: July 18, 2008
    last day for objections: September 16, 2008
    DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

The market price is what would you pay for your stuff if you saw it in the front yard of somebodys house as if in a moving sale. What you paid for it is grossly over what you could get it at good will.

'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

And they want that for everything! Even pets and stuff. Yes, appliances count to. I have a guinea pig and had to account for it as well... Don't worry though, it doesn't really mean much if you don't have a ton of non-essential really expensive stuff.
        Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
        Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
        60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

Hey woodsprite, my wife is hanging in there! Her official due date is the 24th. She has been stuck at 2cm for a month and he doesn't seem to want to come out!

They want a total value, so does that mean I just at random add stuff up or do I have to list everything in my house from appliances to spoons!

Wait, you forgot to list your g.pig and they found out and forced its value!? lmao

I have a dog, I think he might take some value away!
          Filed 10/20/08
          Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

lol... I didn't list the guinea pig under assets and when they went over it, they asked if I had any pets of ANY kind, like fish or the like and I said "well yes, a guinea pig.." She then asked the value... I had to supply a number. I think I said 10 bucks or something like that. They don't care if your dog is a mutt or otherwise... They just want a value. I didn't list spoons, lol, but I think they did ask about china. chairs... tables... lamps... all furniture really... decor... appliances... anything you can sell on Craigslist..
            Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
            Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
            60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

Hi Mark80, I freaked that they would come look too. My atty said they never do.

I listed a bunch of stuff: couch, table, lawnmower, (etc.) <$550 each in the description.
              Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
              341 Oct 8 2008
              Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Mark80 View Post
                They want a total value, so does that mean I just at random add stuff up or do I have to list everything in my house from appliances to spoons!
                I thought I remembered a lot of discussion of this back when I was still lurking. Here are three separate threads from May-July 08:

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ht=garage+sale

After getting a load of all this, I have to admit than when my attorney just arbitrarily filled in a single number on the "household goods" line, I wasn't going to press the issue.

I don't know if that's a NY thing - not needing to itemize - or a case of my lawyer knowing the trustee wouldn't care in a clear no asset case, or if he simply assumed that anybody living without electricity in a 360 square-foot cabin in the woods couldn't possibly own anything of any value!

Of course, I don't have any guinea pigs...
                Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
                341 meeting: July 18, 2008
                last day for objections: September 16, 2008
                DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

same here

When I went to a lawyer for a consultation they asked for a rounded number for what I could sell my household items for. She said," $5,000. for everything?", I said I thought that was about right. And she meant everything. None of our items are close to new but the lawm mower, metal storage shed, etc., for us, would bring it up to that amount.

Comment

Even $5000.00 is probably a little high. Garage sale prices around here are like: refrigerator=$25.00, washer and dryer=$25.00 each. As far as microwave ovens go, with new ones ranging around $39.00-$120.00 new at Wal*Mart, you would be foolish putting more than about $15.00. We pick microwaves up off the side of the road. In most cases there is nothing wrong other than a blown fuse. We repair them and give them away.

As to pets, we three have cats--all former strays--two domestic shorthairs, and one domestic longhair. We had to give a dollar value. Of course, as pets, they're priceless, but as former strays? We put a dollar each on them. I suppose this is to catch those people that have registered animals with papers, or are show animals.
                    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-19-2008, 08:20 AM.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Can you ask your wife nicely to hold off until the 26th, then the baby can be born on my bday

My first(daughter) was late, my son was early. I had them 1 yr, 14 days apart same month.

Hey woodsprite, my wife is hanging in there! Her official due date is the 24th. She has been stuck at 2cm for a month and he doesn't seem to want to come out!

Comment

We asked the same question on how to value stuff...

Two of the three attorneys we spoke to said our estimates of the value were actually way too high. They told us to look at garage sales, craigs list, etc. With an average 3 bedroom house being under $2K. Unless of course you have all brand new high end furniture.
                        Filed 10/11/08 - 341 11/23/08 - Discharged 1/26/09
                        2/19/09 Stipulation agreement reached w/trustee - Still awaiting Closed Status
                        Check my blog at Steve's Bankruptcy Blog Watch day by day what happens with a PITA trustee! - Web Hosting by Broadband Hosting Web Hosting

Comment

I got a letter from my Attorney stating a list of items I am missing. One of them is "what is the garage sale value of your household goods"?

I am not sure what to put down for that, and does it include your appliances? I don't have a ton of expensive anything, but if you did what stops people from just tossing a tiny amount down do they come inspect your belongings?

Thanks
                          Go to your local thrift shop or Goodwill/Salvation Army. View the pricings on the clothing, furniture, etc., etc. That will give you a good idea where to start. It is possible they may have that information online for folks who donate items to them for tax purposes.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

No disrespect for Ms. Cali, but my b'day is the 24th......

Of course I was 4 weeks early.....
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                              Even $5000.00 is probably a little high. Garage sale prices around here are like: refrigerator=$25.00, washer and dryer=$25.00 each. As far as microwave ovens go, with new ones ranging around $39.00-$120.00 new at Wal*Mart, you would be foolish putting more than about $15.00. We pick microwaves up off the side of the road. In most cases there is nothing wrong other than a blown fuse. We repair them and give them away.

As to pets, we three have cats--all former strays--two domestic shorthairs, and one domestic longhair. We had to give a dollar value. Of course, as pets, they're priceless, but as former strays? We put a dollar each on them. I suppose this is to catch those people that have registered animals with papers, or are show animals.

I was going over that last night with SO over the value of the appliances I have. Then I went onto pets and wondered how I was supposed to put a value on them. I adopted our oldrer cat when I was married the first time around. She kept me company when the ex would travel. The second cat SO adopted from a shelter two years ago. She's really his cat since she seems to only like him. She only likes me when I pay attention to her. Darn cat.

Anyway, not to digress, but some values are so hard to figure. I sort of wish there were a site where items could be listed at a garage sale value to help. It's probably wishful thinking, I know, but most of the stuff I priced I based off of eBay or by visiting my local Goodwill/Salvation army. Imagine my surprise the Dyson I bought nearly 3 years ago is going for 1/4 its original cost.
                              sigpic
                              Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                              Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                              Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X