top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get a job with a financial company after bk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone get a job with a financial company after bk?

My 341 is scheduled for the end of the month and I'm currently looking for a job. I'm currently unemployed but not having much success. A little over a year ago I quit working for BofA to pursue other things but that hasn't worked out so well. I left on good terms with them and my old boss still wants me back but I'm just curious as to what effect the bk would have. There is a chance that they don't pull a credit report as i'm a past employee and then i think i'm in the clear, but i did file with about 40k in BofA CC debt.

This is for a technology position.

Almost every employer today does background and credit checks on a prospective employee, even if the employee was a past employee. Don't think otherwise and plan accordingly. In your situation if your pursue that job, be upfront with them as to what occurred in your situation especially if you are still on good terms with your old boss. Yes, a BK on your records will hurt you in the financial job fields. With the rise of internal fraud and embezzlement, employers are more careful than ever who they hire.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

It will make it difficult.

However don't let it stop you from applying, just be honest up front about the Bankruptcy and the cause of it.
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        Almost every employer today does background and credit checks on a prospective employee, even if the employee was a past employee. Don't think otherwise and plan accordingly. In your situation if your pursue that job, be upfront with them as to what occurred in your situation especially if you are still on good terms with your old boss. Yes, a BK on your records will hurt you in the financial job fields. With the rise of internal fraud and embezzlement, employers are more careful than ever who they hire.
        What happened was I was addicted to gambling. My work performance was never an issue but I had to leave work because I couldn't deal with the financial stress. Who do you tell about the bk? The manager or HR?

Also what happens if I get a job after the 341 and before the bk (chapter 7) is closed? Could my case be effected?

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
          It will make it difficult.

However don't let it stop you from applying, just be honest up front about the Bankruptcy and the cause of it.
          I'm not applying for the position. They are offering. When I left they offered to put me on sabbatical but I declined because at the time I had hoped to pursue other options . . . I'm just not having any luck with those options now and coming back to the bank might be my only option.

Comment

Just be up front with the HR person. I work for a bank and I know several people that have been hired after filing a BK.
            Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
            Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
            Discharged April 2012

Comment

I don't think "almost every employer" performs a credit check. Background check, yes. Drug test, possibly. But credit checks are still reserved primarily for jobs where you are required to handle large sums of money. I know I've had many background checks but have never once had a credit check. I don't work with money though.

Maybe just call up HR and ask them. You could call anonymously and just ask them what the policy is when they are hiring back a previous employee.

Good luck!
              Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
              341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
              Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
              Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Comment

This is one my worries to us filing for bk. My husband is currently studying for his bachelors degree in accounting technology. He has his associates in accounting already. I would hate for him to do all that work and then never be able to find a job in his chosen field.
                Retained my attorney 09.27.08
                Filing Ch. 7 02.23.09
                341 Meeting 03.25.09 :unsure
                Discharge 05.27.09

Comment

You will be able to get a job. When you apply for a position that handles money, or sensitive information, the employer is looking to assess risk. If they pull your credit report and see all sorts of delinquent accounts, high balances, etc, you are high risk. BK cleans that up. In most cases, the BK will actually help a persons job prospects because the BK eliminates the risk factors associated with your financial position. You are a far greater risk to a company if you owe a lot of people a lot of money then if you filed BK.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    You will be able to get a job. When you apply for a position that handles money, or sensitive information, the employer is looking to assess risk. If they pull your credit report and see all sorts of delinquent accounts, high balances, etc, you are high risk. BK cleans that up. In most cases, the BK will actually help a persons job prospects because the BK eliminates the risk factors associated with your financial position. You are a far greater risk to a company if you owe a lot of people a lot of money then if you filed BK.
                    Exactly!

After a chapter 7, you won't have any delinquent debts for an employer to be worried about.
                    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. The more I think about it, the more unlikely I feel they will do any kind of background/credit check as they already have it on file. (talked to someone today and i'm still in the system).

I agree that the bk should make it less of a risk and it's also a position that doesn't handle money. But is there any risk in starting so soon after the 341?

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingItOut View Post
                        I don't think "almost every employer" performs a credit check. Background check, yes. Drug test, possibly. But credit checks are still reserved primarily for jobs where you are required to handle large sums of money. I know I've had many background checks but have never once had a credit check. I don't work with money though.

Maybe just call up HR and ask them. You could call anonymously and just ask them what the policy is when they are hiring back a previous employee.

Good luck!
                        You will be told during an interview what "checks" will be done on you and when you sign your job application, read the paragraph immediately above which states that you give them permission to check your credit and criminal background records and that you also agree to drug testing if that will be done. When applying for any job, one should always assume every check imaginable will be run on you for that position so be prepared to handle any hurdle appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by boiler704 View Post
                          What happened was I was addicted to gambling. My work performance was never an issue but I had to leave work because I couldn't deal with the financial stress. Who do you tell about the bk? The manager or HR?

Also what happens if I get a job after the 341 and before the bk (chapter 7) is closed? Could my case be effected?
                          If your former boss is after you to come back to their company and you are on good terms with your former boss, nothing is preventing you from scheduling an interview or however they want to handle it. The best time to mention a BK during the hiring process is during your interview at the time the background check situation is discussed or when the interviewer asks if you have any other issues or questions. If you want to discuss the situation with your former boss first, that is up to you. I would not pass up the opportunity if they want you back for the position. Wishing you the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                            That is opposite for one major banking institution unless they have changed their policies in the past 8 years (they are probably even more strict now). If there is a BK on your records, they won't touch you at all and prior to hiring one has to submit a complete breakdown of debts prior to them pulling your credit reports. If you have lots of bills, they want a full explanation; i.e., college loans, etc. All in all, it depends on the position, employer and their policies in place as to hiring. They also fingerprinted all employees and you had to sign paperwork agreeing to all this prior to being hired and also submit the above information on outstanding bills. What employers are trying to prevent all around is internal fraud, theft and embezzlement by employees. They have the mindset that anyone with bad credit or with bankruptcy on their records makes them a higher risk as they believe that person is bad with their own money and may be a higher risk to the business. This is reality, folks, as I have worked with lots of HR stuff and still somewhat do. No one likes to hear it but that's what goes on. When applying for any position while either in bankruptcy or after discharge, the best thing to do is just be open and honest about the situation if it is bothering you. Was there a major job loss? Medical emergency? Most employers are sympathetic and understand and if you have a great resume and employment background, would overlook a BK on a credit check. Getting a job is selling oneself and proving you can do the job and do it well.

Comment

Some banks only check your credit depending on the grade level of the position that you are applying for. Seems strange, but credit checks are done routinely for lower-level positions and not for management-level positions.

That's just my bank, though.

Honestly, the worst thing that can happen is that a report is pulled and you can't get the job for that reason. You have nothing to lose, so go for it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X