Credit Scores and Renting Apartments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Credit Scores and Renting Apartments

I did some searches, but it didn't look like there was anything recent going on with this topic.

My fiance and I live above my parents right now in a mock duplex. We're looking to start renting our own place (my parents are driving me CRAZY) after my discharge in December. I know that my credit score BEFORE filing was 643. I haven't had the money or guts to take a look post-filing.

I'm faily confident that because of the economic situation in my state people will be understanding of my BK. But I'm still, of course, worried.

Has anyone had a big problem getting an apartment complex to rent to them? And is there anyone out there with a low score that successfully got someone to rent to them?
    FILED!: August 11, 2008 * Pre-Filing Fico Score - 643 * 341: October 8, 2008 * Last Day for Objections: December 7, 2008
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

I didn't rent from a complex, but renting from a private owner. He asked all sorts of questions about my credit report, but he, like other Apartment Complexes, are desperate just to rent the place.

There are some (apartment complexes) here that even bluntly state that so long as you have a clean criminal history, and no real recent bad stuff... they'll rent. It's a buyer's market out there.

Having wrote that, you should check your FICO. (Go to the My FICO site.) If it's above 620, you'll have no problem anyhow.

Adding that I applied to one apartment complex and they approved me. They asked about the BK and I told them the truth... my darned renters didn't pay their rent and caused me all sorts of trouble on my second property. Told them that I should have screened better. LOL!!!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Should I check it now with a discharge not yet on the horizon? Or wait until then?
      FILED!: August 11, 2008 * Pre-Filing Fico Score - 643 * 341: October 8, 2008 * Last Day for Objections: December 7, 2008
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie86 View Post
        Should I check it now with a discharge not yet on the horizon? Or wait until then?
        If you have the money to spare, do it now... if you're curious. If you had credit monitoring, some of them allow you to do 4 or more free ones a year.

Otherwise, wait until a couple of weeks after discharge.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X