Authorized User on Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Authorized User on Credit Card

I have a unique question about my daughter being and authorized user on one of my credit cards 5 yrs ago. While my daughter was in college I obtained a credit card in her name on my account for her to use for emergency purposes. Once she she graduated she no longer needed the card and we removed her from the account as an authorized user. While she was authorized the billing statements had both of our names. After removing her the billing statements only had my name. This is the only documentation that she is no longer an authorized user. She recently applied for credit and discovered that her report is reflecting that credit card being 60 days past due. The information is correct as my wife and I will be filing chapter 7 soon. My question is how would my daughter address having this information corrected. She did call the credit card company and was referred to collection agency who referred her back to the credit card company and told her that she is still listed as an authorized user on this account. She has not used this account and there is no card issued in her name for at least the last 4 years - and the billing statements only have my name on it. Is it possible that she would be affected due to my circumstances? Any help in how to address this would be greatly appreciated. In closing, I have spent several months reading the posts on this board and would like to thank all of you for your compassion and knowledge during this difficult time in my life. As soon as I can post my story and experiences with a clear mind I will do so. I have a meeting with my attorney for the first time this week and may have additional questions. Thanks in advance.

Your daughter needs to dispute the account with the Credit Reporting Agencies, she needs to inform them the account is not hers and go through that process.

Comment

I hate this scenario and it happens often. I have several family members who I put on my high-limit credit cards, for emergencies. I took them off before filing, but the accounts are still there and are now showing Included in Bankruptcy (IIB) and hurting their scores.

I complained to the credit card company, and then advised my family members to file disputes with the credit reporting agencies. I'm hoping that clears it all up. They were never co-signers or co-debtors. They were only authorized users.

I will add, though, that I had similar issues with American Express a long time ago on an account on which I was the authorized user. It took me several phone calls and weeks to convince them that I didn't make any of the charges and any that I had made, were paid off.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hello Justbroke, I would love to hear what happens regarding your authorized users and their credit scores. I too have my daughter on 1 of my mastercards and I'll be filing chap 7 soon. I'm going to check on getting her off as a user and see what happens.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X