Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to forum...need advice...sorry...long post

new to forum...need advice...sorry, long
    Ok, I love researching so this forum has been very helpful. I can't seem to stop reading. But I can't turn my brain off or stop worrying even with reading all this info so thought I'd post my situation and get some other input.
    My husband and I are planning to file Ch. 7 in colorado in june/july 2009. I have spoken to several attorneys and believe it should be okay but after reading some of these posts I'm a little nervous.
    Basic situation: I had TWO jobs up until Jan 1 of this year. I quit both due to the fact that I've been under so much stress this last year that I've been getting constantly sick and my husband and I have been fighting non stop. I was constantly irritable and hated my jobs (one was a telecommute job 1099 position that cost me more to keep than what I actually made from it) so I decided after much deliberation to give them both up and pursue my dream, which is being a full time artist. This is what I went to school for, I have a BFA in studio art, and I decided I wanted to actually DO something with my degree. Problem is I have yet to make any money at it.
    My husband makes $52k a year. In Colorado the Median income is $62,500. So we are under the income and I believe we'll qualify for the means test as well. We have about $50k in cc debt combined, another $10k in school loans, 2 cars, one paid off the other still making payments, but both under $5k in value. Due to our income when I was working, we have to wait at least 6 months to file. We have owed several thousand dollars the past 3 years in taxes, and will probably owe again this year. We rent an apartment and have no other assets.

We stopped using cc Dec. 1, 2008. I did a cc charge/pmyt spreadsheet and we did actually PAY more on cc last year than charge, but we did charge things like hotels, shoes, etc. However, at the time we had no intention of filing bankruptcy. We just thought we'd be in debt for a long time. Anyway, I paid the minimum on the cards that had charges in December and then have stairstepped them down to pay $50 the next month, etc so it wouldn't look like I was charging up and then stopping paying. However, the cards that I didn't pay on, that have the lowest balances are already calling. I have 2 capital one cards and after one missed payment they sent me to their collections, which I find amazing because up till this point I've never missed a payment or even been late.

So here are my questions. Am I in danger of being accused of fraud for changing my career if it doesn't make me money? I do have a legitimate reason, but reading all this I'm afraid they'll think I purposely quit to lower my income. Because our income was so much higher when I worked I'm wondering if that will be a concern.

Also, I want to try to avoid getting sued BEFORE the six month time is up. With the capital one that sent me to collections already, should I call them and send a good faith payment for now? I will probably be able to hire my attorney in a few months. I know they can't really take calls for 6 months, so I was hoping to take the calls/harrassment myself for a few months, then hire the attorney a few months before we file. But I want to hold off the more aggressive cards as long as possible. The balance on this card is only $2200, and up till this one missed payment it has been current for the past 8 years since I got the card, so it seems strange they are so aggressive already. I got a new phone number and didn't update them so I have to call and change that since they already called my parents trying to get hold of me. should I send a DV letter to them for the collections notice I got? It's an inhouse collections agency.

Oh, and as of right now we haven't changed our bank account, and we have cable and a gym membership. should we get rid of gym membership and cable...are they considered a luxury? Also, I bank at a credit union out of Oklahoma...should I switch to a local bank so it's a new bank?

any advice would be very helpful and much appreciated. I read a lot of posts that help a lot.

Thanks,
    mellydan

Nothing in the bk code requires you to be employed in order to file bk. You won't be the first straving artist to file bk.
    If bk is the end game then, stop paying all debt you wish to discharge. I doubt you'll get sued before your stated time period before you file.
    CAble and gym memeberships are legimate personal expenses.
    If you're happy with the CU and don't owe them money that you're going to default on then, no need to open a new bank account.
    Use the money you're paying to credit cards to take care of back taxes due. Those are a priority creditor and you won't have any preference issues paying those since, they'll survive bk.

Comment

thanks so much Keepmine! I don't owe that bank any money, so I'll probably just keep it since I've had it forever. I know bankruptcy is the RIGHT decision for me, I just have so many apprehensions about anything going wrong. But my husband says I will find ANYTHING to worry about. So thanks so much for answering my questions/concerns, I truly appreciate it. The great thing about this forum is realizing there are other people out there in the same situation and getting advice from people going through it.

Comment

anyone dealt with capital one sending them to inhouse collections so fast?

Comment

Originally posted by mellydan View Post
          anyone dealt with capital one sending them to inhouse collections so fast?
          Hi, yes, I have a chase card (27K) and they have been the most aggressive along with Amex at collecting the debt. I was receiving collection calls within 2 weeks of being over due (although I had the card over 20 years and had never been late). Hang in there, the calls aren't so bad. I stopped paying in mid May, retained an attorney and still haven't been sued...yet (knocking on wood). Have you retained an attorney yet? If so, you should be able to forward the collection calls to him/her, I did the same and haven't been subjected to the harrassing collection calls.

Good Luck!

P.S. Sorry, just noticed that you wanted to know about "CAPITOL ONE" not CHASE!! I had to reread your original post! Opps!
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I think the cc's may send the accounts to the collections dept quickly because they have a tremendous volumn of people not paying! LOL...at 30% how many people can keep it up?
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

no worries liz417..any info about any card helps. I technically could go ahead and hire my attorney but was afraid he wouldn't want to take calls for that long if I don't file till June/july. But maybe it would just be easier. And I actually just called capital one cause I wanted them to have my phone number and NOT call my parents again, and it's just their internal collections department. Apparently they haven't even reported it to the credit agencies yet. It's so hard to NOT pay them something thinking it will help delay...but I would only be able to afford to do that thru next month, so I guess I should listen to everyone and just not pay any of them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                I think the cc's may send the accounts to the collections dept quickly because they have a tremendous volumn of people not paying! LOL...at 30% how many people can keep it up?
                Exactly! I've always had an excellent credit history, it wasn't until one credit card decided jack up my nice 7.99% rate to 28% (I hadn't been late either!), they lowered my credit limit (granted it was 30k) each time I made a payment, which in turn started a "tidal wave" of finanical disaster by reflecting my credit score because I was always "maxed out" (with new lower limits) and within a couple of months, all my cards quickly followed suit with the increased interest rates! It was downhill from there.......................
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

no worries liz417..any info about any card helps. I technically could go ahead and hire my attorney but was afraid he wouldn't want to take calls for that long if I don't file till June/july. But maybe it would just be easier. And I actually just called capital one cause I wanted them to have my phone number and NOT call my parents again, and it's just their internal collections department. Apparently they haven't even reported it to the credit agencies yet. It's so hard to NOT pay them something thinking it will help delay...but I would only be able to afford to do that thru next month, so I guess I should listen to everyone and just not pay any of them, right?
                  RIGHT!!! Do not waste anymore $$ if you intend to file BK!!! I KNOW it doesn't feel right and you're scared, but trust me, the more you hang out here (on this forum), the more you learn about BK process, the more you will feel better about your filing. Hang in there.
                  9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by commonman2
                    Thanks for your post Mellydan. From your story, bankruptcy is definitely not for you. Bankrupcy is only for severe permanate medical disabilities and I do not see that in your story.

The question that you have to ask is will you be in financial distress again after bankruptcy it you do not make serious life style changes? I think you can easily avoid bankruptcy by making life style changes.

Please to not abuse bankruptcy for the few that really deserve it.

Freedom is not free.

PS. No forum rules were broken by this post.
                    Alright, you are new here and so far have posted 2 posts, both disagreeing with Bankruptcy...I think you are in the wrong forum. Unless you intend to help others here on this board, STOP spreading your negativity against BK.
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your post Mellydan. From your story, bankruptcy is definitely not for you. Bankrupcy is only for severe permanate medical disabilities and I do not see that in your story.

The question that you have to ask is will you be in financial distress again after bankruptcy it you do not make serious life style changes? I think you can easily avoid bankruptcy by making life style changes.

Freedom is not free.

Huh??? What the heck? Funny that my attorney thinks we are a "classic textbook BK case".

Filing is my right and I don't know where you get your info that BK is for "severe medical disabilities only.

That's a random "out there" comment.
                      Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                      341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                      Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Thanks for your post Mellydan. From your story, bankruptcy is definitely not for you.
                        And you base your judgment on....what?

Bankrupcy is only for severe permanate medical disabilities and I do not see that in your story.
                        I don't know where you got this idea, but it is absolutely wrong. Job loss and divorce happen to people who didn't cause them either. Actually less than 30% of bankruptcies are filed because of money mismanagement. And sometimes even those folks were duped by slick mortgage lenders. The bankruptcy world just isn't as black and white as you want it to be. And I hope that you never have to find out what it's like to be on the other side of your judgmental opinion, because you'll have to eat a lot of crow like most of us have who thought only inept losers had to file bk....until we became the losers.

I think you can easily avoid bankruptcy by making life style changes.
                        Again, this is so wrong most of the time. By the time people realize they are in serious financial trouble, it's far too late to just adjust lifestyle to get out of it. Open your eyes. Most people have to file bk not because of money mismanagement but because of events in their lives far beyond their control. Saving $50/month on cable doesn't make a dent if you are $50,000 in debt.

The founding fathers of our country felt strongly more than 200 years ago that every single person who qualifies to file bankruptcy deserves to do so. They felt so strongly about it that they put filing bk in our Constitution. Who are you to say differently?

Freedom is not free.
                        Freedom is also compassionate, understanding of circumstances beyond peoples' control, and willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. Where are you on this bell curve?

Open your heart and just be open to what we're going through rather than immediately judging us many of us as unfit, commonman. You could very well find yourself in our 'undeserving' shoes some day and it won't be for a medical reason. There are many unforeseen tragedies in life - I hope the ones that happened to many of us never happen to you.

True for what it's worth. You can continue to post these blaming, negative, judgmental posts if you want to for whatever reason floats your boat. However, like a few others who've tried it before you, eventually our members will just tune you out. I just did - this will be my only reply to anything you post in the future, and I encourage all our members to not respond to your negativity. We have nothing to defend.
                        Last edited by lrprn; 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM.
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Well said lrprn! Don't judge unless you have walked in our shoes!
                          "Don't let your wants overload your a**"
                          (author unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by deadbroke99 View Post
                            Well said lrprn! Don't judge unless you have walked in our shoes!
                            I wear boots, sometimes sandals. I don't even own a pair of shoes. Just had to say that.
                            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I had a business capital one account they turned over to a collection agency after my discharge, that's how aggressive they are.

Now you know the 10K in school loans you'll still have after the BK.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X