What details become public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What details become public?

What details about a bankruptcy become available to the public? Do the personal circumstances become public, such as the specific hardship or circumstances that caused the bk? Or just the dollar amount and date of default? What are people going to be able to find out about my personal life if I go bk?

I konw that the actual filing, name, address and amount are public record. From my understanding that someone would have to go looking into the public record to find any details. I don't think that circumstances become available for public knowledge.

We have a local newspaper (more like newsrag) that prints out as much info as possible.....name, age, race, gender and amounts including which chapter was filed on what date. It is pretty sucky and there is no way around it.
    This paper also prints divorce, child custody, any arrests, and deaths all including dates, ages, race, etc.

I am dreading the day our name ends up in print.

Comment

Your nit picky reasons, will not be displayed (no offense about reasons). The Court only looks at facts. You cannot pay, that is the fact. If you are not found to be fraudulent, and you are within the means of not being able to pay, you will get your bk. It is true, it is all Public record, but, who in your town would figure out how to go onto PACER and find you? Remember, you have not done anything wrong. Like thousands behind you, and maybe millions ahead of you, you are not alone here, and you simply made a very wise business decision. Worry not about what other people think. Those who know you, love you anyway, those who don't, do not care. When they cast the first stone, remember, 'what goes around, comes around'. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Green View Post
        What details about a bankruptcy become available to the public? Do the personal circumstances become public, such as the specific hardship or circumstances that caused the bk? Or just the dollar amount and date of default? What are people going to be able to find out about my personal life if I go bk?
        Most local papers (not all) list your bk along with the other public announcements - births, deaths, marriages, etc. The paper lists your name, which chapter of bankruptcy you filed, and the date of filing. That's it.

However, it is possible that anyone that knows about PACER could locate your case there. That person could see what's included in your filing forms and open any other court documents posted to your case. The chances of someone you know understanding this is possible and that the person would be willing to pay to see all your related documents is about the same chance of a meteor hitting your house today Even then, your reasons for filing are not included - no worries about that.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

All details of your filing are public record; that means anyone who wants to can go to the courthouse or go online (PACER) and view your entire matter. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is if someone wants to do it. Many newspapers also publish certain specifics as to bankruptcy filings; our newspaper every Sunday in the Business sectoin and right next to the stock reports posts the names, town, amount of assets and debts of the filers and whether they filed Chapter 13 or 7. Chapter 11's are also published.

The main thing is not to worry about it because there is nothing you can do about it and the less you broadcast your situation, the less people will know so they won't view the paper and/or try to check out your matter. Most people could care less.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X