top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I wait to apply for a cell phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Should I wait to apply for a cell phone?

I filed pro se on June 12th. I'm interested in switching cell phone companies. When the cell phone company runs a credit check, will that reflect negatively on my upcoming 341 meeting? I know that I will probably have to pay a very high deposit; my question specifically pertains to whether or not this will look bad on my bankruptcy and if I should wait to apply for the cell phone.

Thanks.
    6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
    7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
    9/28/09: Discharged
    10/2/09: Case closed!

They use a credit score just like other creditors. The scoring will take the Bankruptcy into account. You will probably need to pay a deposit.

I don't consider a cellular phone a credit account, just as I don't consider my utilities, like water, gas, electricity, landline phone, cable, as credit accounts. Not because they're not revolving lines of credit, they are utility in their nature and you need them.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

IMO, I would wait until after your BK is confirmed (13) or discharge (7). It can look better for you if you do not make any changes in your finances, just in case anything arises during your BK and everything needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.
      Bankruptcy History:
      Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
      Discharged - 02/16/2006
      Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

I was going to switch cell phone companies too (my contract was up a couple of months ago), but the whole "credit check" thing worried me, so I just resigned with the same company (they didn't pull a credit check, but looked at payment history)

I would wait until after discharge if you really want to change carriers.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X