Getting organized tips for bk filing -- Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting organized tips for bk filing -- Part 2

I hope you all digested Part 1: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.php?t=43255. Part 1 was designed to help you organize your documents for your attorney.

I anticipate the trustee may ask me for back up documentation. So, rather than make him wait for me, I will have the docs available to give to him at his request. I also dont want to look like a gypsy walking in with a large pile of papers. So, I was inspired to put everything in a binder. I think that the binder also presents the image that you know your finances.

Here is Part 2--Preparing your 3-ring binder for your 341 meeting:

--You will eventually need to take trip to an office supply store like Staples or Office Max to buy some supplies. Your volume of documents will dictate what types/sizes of supplies you will buy. You will purchase:
    a. 3-ring binder
    b. Top loading sheet protectors
    c. Avery ready-index table of contents dividers/tabs

--I am assuming most of you have online, or paperless statements. If you receive paper statements then you obviously need to make copies of those.

--Before you file, make sure you d/l all your online statements. I just went through this drill and found each creditor is different but most creditors only go back a year. If you have debt with PayPal cc or WFNNB (such as Fortunoff, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and some retail clothing stores), you do not have the ability to d/l your statements. You can print a printable form, though.

--If you use bill pay, your bank may let you view and print your payment history. If you have that ability, print it. You will add this with your bank statements, at the end.

--Print at least 1-year worth of bank statements. I use 1 year as a benchmark since the bk schedule asks you to list any financial accounts closed in the past year. You are also asked about preferential transfers over the past 90 days, so its possible that the trustee will go back at a mimimum of 3 months but as far back as 1 year. Staple each month and organize them with the most current statement on top.

--Print at least your recent credit card statements and make copies of all collection notices. You can save all your cc statements going back a year but dont kill a tree printing all of them. If you have credit cards in collections, staple all collections notices to the back of each applicable cc, especially if the original creditor still retains the account. If the original creditor has sold your account, then you only have the collection letter and all related correspondence to staple together.

--You will organize your documents in piles that make logical sense and can be easily referenced when organized in a 3-ring binder. For example, dont co-mingle your insurance documents with the mortgage statements.

--Each pile will eventually go into a 3-ring binder, whose size depends on the thickness of your documents. Eyeball the thickness of your pile of docs (or measure it) and that is the size of 3-ring binder you will need.

--The Avery ready-index number (ie 8-tab, 10-tab, 12-tab) that you will need depends on how many piles of papers you have. Dont buy the tabs until you thought through this and wrote it down on paper. Dont get color tabs, either. This is not time to impress. The b/w tabs are fine.

--The last two items in your book will be Credit Card Statements and Expenses Receipts. Those are last because you will also integrate sheet protectors as part of those sections. The sheet protectors are over-sized, and they cover up your tab numbers. Therefore, those items are inserted in the end so you are able to thumb through your dividers easily until you get to the last two.

--Here is a sample of a logical organization of docs, in the order it should appear in your book.

1. Income Taxes w/copies of return receipt/certified mail if you have it
    2. Pay Stubs
    3. Checking Account Statements (each month stapled together)
    4. Insurance Documents (life, auto, home)
    5. Mortgage Statements
    6. Secure debt documents/statements (auto loans; if this is voluminous, add a tab for each secure loan)
    7. Closed checking/financial accounts from 1-year ago (if you have them)
    8. Transferred property information (if applicable--I transferred 2 autos but have included in this section kbb values, carfax info and other docs to demonstrate that the cars are worthless)
    9. Other (such as your counseling statement, appraisals)
    10. Credit Card Statements
    11. Expenses Receipts

(you will need to buy the avery ready-index with 12-tabs for this example)

--Credit Card Statements: Insert each creditor statement in a page protector. You should have one page protector for each unsecure creditor. Include all correspondence with that creditor (ie, notice letter that they transferred your account to collections). If you have attempted in e-mail or in writing to negotiate terms with your creditor, print out those messages and include them. I have extensive correspondence with Amex' incompetent outsourced customer service that monitors their e-mail. I saved those e-mail messages from their online secure server and have them in the event they claim fraud or whatever. They demonstrated their unwillingness to work with me when I had the courtesy to notify them the I would fall behind in payments

--Expenses Receipts: If you have reasonable and allowable expenses that have carried over on the means test (outside of the IRS allowable amounts), gather up the receipts for this section. You will use one page protector for each expense. You can even write on each page protector with permanent marker to indicate what is in it.

I have one page protector stuffed with daycare receipts and the other page protector contains medical receipts since I have medical expenses outside of the IRS standard deductions.

I also have one page protector that contains all my expense vouchers I submitted to my company for blackberry reimbursement expense. My company cuts me a check for the expense, which I deposit to my checking account. If the trustee asks about those deposits, I at least have the audit trail to show where they came from so he doesn't think its additional income.

You may want to consider including in this expense section any checking account deposit documentation that is not payroll related just like I did with my company's expense vouchers

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or if anything is unclear please let me know. Its so much easier just to show the finished product
    Last edited by DSIG; 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM.

Wow! What a wonderful Project. Thank you so much. I have an Excel Spreadsheet for the past 6 months and receipts attached to the Spreadsheet, BUT I like your project better. Next weekend, when hubby is home, we are off to Staples to get the supplies for this project.

I need help with something. My dh is an over the road truck driver and in a weeks time, he accumulates between 15-20 cash register & other misc. receipts. I've run a calculator tape with the specified week written on the tape & stapled this to the calculator tape.

Should these receipts say be stapled on a blank piece of paper by the bottom receipt & put a months worth of receipts in the protective cover? The paper would have 4 or 5 weeks worth of trucking expenses.

I thought by stapling the last receipt, the Attorney and/or Trustee would be able to pull the paper out of the protective cover & flip through the receipts easier. Does this even make sense???

Again, thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
      Should these receipts say be stapled on a blank piece of paper by the bottom receipt & put a months worth of receipts in the protective cover? The paper would have 4 or 5 weeks worth of trucking expenses.

I thought by stapling the last receipt, the Attorney and/or Trustee would be able to pull the paper out of the protective cover & flip through the receipts easier. Does this even make sense???

Again, thanks for the idea.
      Luci, you can use your excel spreadsheet as your log for these cash-related receipts and staple copies of the actuals behind the spreadsheet. You would do this for each month. The spreadsheet doesn't have to be fancy. Use the following columns: date, description/transaction, cost, and remarks if you want to add comments about the transaction. If you have 3-months worth of receipts see if you can generate a worksheet for each month in the same workbook. I think that 3-months worth gives a clear picture to the trustee. You can create a worksheet for each month in one workbook (or one excel file). No need to generate multiple excel files when you can capture all this in one document.

If you need help manuevering around excel let me know and I can generate a template for you and I'll post it on this thread

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Luci

Comment

thank you for these, DSIG.

For some of us who have been here for a long time, or working on a case for a while, parrts of these posts may seem obvious.

For those who are new, unfamiliar, or perhaps even intimidated by the mechanics of the process, the "Getting Organized" part as you call it, these ideas are invaluable. A veritable instruction book so far, and I can see it coming in handy indeed for many people.

I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences. I also hope that, once complete, a moderator will consider compiling all these into one stickie for the benefit of people yet to come in future years.

All the best,

-dmc
          11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
          12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

DMC:

A Very Good Idea for DSIG Tips (Project) to Be a Stickie. Even though I started last October planning our Bankruptcy I have stacks of paper strung out in my office and all over my dining room table.

I get so frustrated sometimes, because I cannot even find my calendar. Well, in fact, somewhere buried in these papers is our checkbook! Thank goodness, I've already scheduled our monthly bills to be paid LOL!

Like I said, when Dh get home this weekend, we are heading to Staples.

Luci

Comment

great ideas!
              I have been wondering how I will deal with the reciepts. I have been keeping the all but they are a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
                thank you for these, DSIG.

For some of us who have been here for a long time, or working on a case for a while, parrts of these posts may seem obvious.

For those who are new, unfamiliar, or perhaps even intimidated by the mechanics of the process, the "Getting Organized" part as you call it, these ideas are invaluable. A veritable instruction book so far, and I can see it coming in handy indeed for many people.

I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences. I also hope that, once complete, a moderator will consider compiling all these into one stickie for the benefit of people yet to come in future years.

All the best,

-dmc

dmc, thanks. It would be an honor to make it into the stickie hall of fame. You are so correct about this entire bk experience being intimidating. I think this has to do with the complexities of the bk statute. We know that it was intentionally re-written to confuse or trap the average consumer.

Since I joined the forum I have benefited tremendously either from direct advise or indirectly by having the ability to search for keywords.

I dont want to just receive but also to give on this forum. I am at the infant stages of my bk filing so I have more questions than advise. I can share, though, in what I have done thusfar to get organized, which I take for granted but now I read that forum members welcome the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
                  DMC:

A Very Good Idea for DSIG Tips (Project) to Be a Stickie. Even though I started last October planning our Bankruptcy I have stacks of paper strung out in my office and all over my dining room table.

I get so frustrated sometimes, because I cannot even find my calendar. Well, in fact, somewhere buried in these papers is our checkbook! Thank goodness, I've already scheduled our monthly bills to be paid LOL!

Like I said, when Dh get home this weekend, we are heading to Staples.

Luci
                  Also, when you organize everything you can systematically go through your transactions and may catch something that should be listed in your schedules. For example, I that forgot a sent a check to my goddaughter as an easter gift. Only when I was reviewing my checking account statements did I catch this.

Comment

Thank you for posting this DSIG!

I'm in the very early stages mysel, having recently retained an attorney... this information is great!

Comment

I have used a very similar organizational format on a monthly basis for taxes through the year. If you itemize, it's a big time saver at the end of the year to have all taxes itemized and listed together in a folder for that month with a listing (or Excel spreadsheet) that can be totalled at the end of the year for each category needed.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I helped Ms Luci put together an expense spreadsheet which lets her input the transaction date, type of expense, cost, remarks, and at the bottom I used a formula which returns the sum for each type of expense for that month. Expense types include food, transportation, medical, household, and can also include the basic means test expenses.

I can post a shell of the spreadsheet on this thread if you think it will help you. If you use it, it would be used to accompany your receipts for the corresponding month.

MS money and those types of software can also be used, but my spreadsheet is just more basic.

Comment

You are so kind to share your tips!!!! Please do add the excel sheet. I use excel alot but would love to have something like your talking about. I have been attempting to gather all things together using a two whole punch and binder clips. This would be a great help!!! May God Bless you for your assistance.
                          Down but not out!! filed c7 august 2011...341 september 2011... Unsecured debt over $100k.....bk attorney $1200.......bkforum.com Priceless!!!!!

Comment

thanks for sharing this information .............
                            )

Comment

hope sharing that type of information thanksfor it,,,,

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X