top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did it cost for you to file bankruptcy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question How much did it cost for you to file bankruptcy?

I called last week to apply for Legal Aid (KS low-income legal services) and then today I had the "interview" to determine if they could represent me for my bankruptcy. I will be filing Chapter 7.

She told me that it would cost $1065. That does include the $299 filing fee but it does not include the two credit counseling sessions or getting the 3 credit reports.

Does that sound...right? I'm a single mom going to school full-time and I have no income. So...paying over a grand...well I could have paid a few of those things off if I had that money. It just seems...ironic...to have to have money to say I have no money.

That is several hundred less then I paid, and from what I've seen I got a rather low priced lawyer.

On another note if you have no income why file for BK at this time? Do you have assets you are worried about?
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

No...I have no income or assets. But I want to get it all taken care of before I start working again. I've been "not filing" for over 2 years and already have one garnishment order against me from one credit card company. They keep taking my bank account despite that we've already gone to court since they can't take my child support. So I just want to get it all taken care of and over with so I can start over.

Comment

I found my attorney on craigs list. I think it was $350 or $400 plus filing fees.

Comment

Here in the land of the "really cheap cost of living" per them.. it cost me 1500.00 for a simple BK....no assets. A bit high when the median income is less than 30,000.00 lol But then doctors make a ton here too and the hospital cost more out of pocket to then they did out west.

Comment

Shutting this down, too many threads on this already and the information is largely pointless.

Bankruptcy services are not a commodity like milk or gold. You tend to get what you pay for, if you want a very basic level of service from some attorney that maybe spends 30 minutes on your case, you will pay less than $1,000, if you want a high level of service from an experienced attorney that actually cares, you will pay well over $2,500. There is no "typical" cost. The cost of your case will depend on where you live, the complexity of your case, and most importantly, WHAT YOU WANT out of your representation.

See this blog post about questions to ask an attorney

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X