Who will know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who will know

Who will know that I have filed for BK - we have not told anyone in our families about our situation and don't plan on it - it is embarrassing and private.

How would anyone else find out if we did?

I really don't want my employer to find out either!

Generally speaking, no one will know unless you tell them. In smaller communities, busybodies who love to read the business section of the local newspaper, will also know.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It use to be just published in a small section of the local newspaper. I'm not 100% sure but there maybe a place on the internet where its published too.

Actually, it is embarrassing at first, but the more you read on this site the more you become aware that BK is just another tool to use. If your in the boat where a lot of us are, that was doing okay until the recent credit card companies raised their rates so high... then there isn't anything embarrassing about telling them to &*%^ off by filing a BK. To us, they voided our agreement by the rate increase.. we simply are not agreeing and now they get nothing.
      In a perfect world every dog has a home, and every home has a dog.

Comment

Yep it is a business decision you are making for yourself.

We told a few people. I am wishing we didn't. It has ruined one of my friendships because my friend thinks it is morally wrong (the friend works for a bank)

To answer the original question...anyone who does a background check on you or searches your name for public records will know.

Comment

I can think of worse things. Like not taking care of your family just feed big corporate fatcats.

JMO
          Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
          Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
          Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
          341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by mummy View Post
            ... I am wishing we didn't. It has ruined one of my friendships because my friend thinks it is morally wrong (the friend works for a bank) ....
            Wouldn't fit my definition of a friend. I've found life is hard enough with good friends, let alone the ones that are judgmental, dumping on you or just plain negative. They can go with the rest of the baggage I've been hauling for too long.
            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Faust said it well. We all need to try to remember that it doesn't matter what other people think anyway. That's a tough one!
              Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
              341 Meeting 09/09/09
              Discharged 11/12/09
              Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Briefly, the only way anyone will know is:

1. If you tell them;
                2. If they overhear you talking about it (i.e., conversations on the phone at work, cell phone conversations when you think no one else is around, etc.);
                3. If you spend a lot of personal time on the phone at work, take extra time off for appointments, etc. it will be noticed and someone could inquire or catch on;
                4. If you do file, it could be published in your state or local newspaper; our newspaper lists all filings in the Sunday edition in the Business section right next to the stock market page. Listed are the names, towns, Chapter filed and the amounts of debts and assets.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
                  Wouldn't fit my definition of a friend. I've found life is hard enough with good friends, let alone the ones that are judgmental, dumping on you or just plain negative. They can go with the rest of the baggage I've been hauling for too long.
                  I agree only a narrow minded, shallow person would let the a BK be that big of a deal. Not to say that it is not a major life event, but it doesn't make you a bad person. I have come to terms with the fact that most of our parents spend little to no time teaching us good financial skills. I intend to use my learning from the whole process to help educate my kids on proper debt management skills they can use for life.
                  Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
                  UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
                  Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

To be honest it will probably be published in a small section of your local paper. They may or may not archive that section on the internet as well. Also it will be considered public knowledge and available on systems such as PACER.

In reality SOME if any of your friends and relatives probably will be snoops and do a search on you HOWEVER in my experience few if any will admit it or bring the matter up. See, if they bring it up they are admitting to snooping on your business....which in itself is pretty tacky.

Consider this though: It will also be public knowledge if the creditor sues you and gets a judgment. The same deal if you are no longer able to pay your mortgage or rent and get foreclosed upon or evicted.

Also maybe consider that it's time not to worry about what others think of you and to just do that which is best for you and according to your own moral standards.

Originally posted by mummy View Post
                    We told a few people. I am wishing we didn't. It has ruined one of my friendships because my friend thinks it is morally wrong (the friend works for a bank)
                    LOL - didn't many of the banks essentially declare bankruptcy and then get government handouts to bail them out?
                    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

The chums of your banker friend didn't mind taking $45 billion and then still awarding themselves $20 million in salary, did they? So much for a banker's moral standards.

Do what is best for you and forget that idiot.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X